Do people constantly criticize you during your pregnancy? Or is it just me?

Everytime I am at the store or out for a walk or at the park, anywhere really, people are constantly criticizing me on the size of my baby. Is it just me or do people have no tact? I can't take it. I'm not overweight at all and I'm just completely baby... I take it so personally and now I am so sensitive to my body and the size that I am starting to resent being pregnant. Does anyone else have the same experience?

etsybetsy

Asked by etsybetsy at 8:46 AM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had a "friend" that used to keep commenting on how big I was getting. With each pregnancy, I got bigger (not really weight gain, just tummy stretched easier)
    I got so annoyed with her that one day I just looked at her and said "Yeah, well I'm 8 months pregnant and still weigh less than you!"

From my experience, the general population is ignorant and rude. Ignore them!!!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 8:50 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Try not to take it personally, people just tend to think that because you're pregnant they can draw attention to your size...but you're right, its irritating, upsetting and rude!
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 8:52 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I've always gotten that a lot as well. I'm very short waisted and tend to look farther along than I really am because there is no room for the baby. Like right now when I tell people I'm only 17 weeks, they seem surprised and always come out with the 'wow! I thought you were like 6 or 7 months!' or 'you look so BIG!'. It really hurts me. I'm very self conscious about my weight when I'm NOT pregnant and to hear people say I look huge makes me want to just stay in my house until the baby comes so I don't have to be criticized constantly. I'm pregnant... and that does not mean I don't have feelings, and I just wish more people would think before they say some of the dumb and hurtful things they do.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:54 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• ALL THE TIME. I am tiny person, weighing in at about 100 even when I am not pregnant, and I was all belly with both of my children, and boy was my belly HUGE. I was always hearing things like "Wow, you look like a snake that swallowed a cow!" OR "I'm afraid your going to fall over forward with that thing attached to you." So very annoying!
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 8:56 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I don't think people realize how hurtful their comments can be. It's just ignorance. I'm sorry mama!
    mommymela87

Answer by mommymela87 at 8:58 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• People often have no tact. I'm sorry some are making those comments. Try to think of a response you can be ready to say and brush it off. Something like, "Yup, it will be any day now" (whether it will be or not) or "Yeah, it's all baby, I've only gained 20 pounds" Lie about the pounds! ;) Or even just "Yeah, it's really something, huh?" I'm sure you can come up with a couple more. No need to be rude just say something as a response. You are a better person than they. Best wishes.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:00 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Thanks for all the comments. I feel a little better knowing I'm not the only one. I have worked so hard trying not to gain too much weight... I was running until my 7th month and now swim a couple miles a day. I always wish I could come up with some good comeback comment to put all those people in their place!
    etsybetsy

Comment by etsybetsy (original poster) at 9:05 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Don't let people get to you. Pregnant women are beautiful. And if you and your baby are both healthy they can all kiss your bump!
    maggiebella25

Answer by maggiebella25 at 9:12 AM on Jul. 23, 2010