What constitutes a marriage?

Is it your ability to have sex and make a child? Or does it have more to it than that? How would you define your own marriage? HOw does this make you decide what OTHERS marriage should consist of?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 8:53 AM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• IMO It's when you love someone so much you want to spend the rest of your life with that one person.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 8:56 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Now i wont ever define marriage as someones ability to make a child. Marriage is the union between two people, a partnership which is defined mostly by love and the desire to be together through thick and thin.
    A marriage or partnership should be entered with the intentions of making it last as long as you live, and with the motivation and determination to make it succeed. In my opinion civil partnerships (unions between lesbian/gay couples in the UK) are on a par with marriage. They help protect their legal rights and give them the security and satisfcation that any straight couple get hwne they walk down the aisle.
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 8:57 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• No marriage can succeed in the world without a feeling of security among the partners. They need reassurance that they are loved & important to the lives of their spouse. Their presence should be highly valued by the other. They should feel completely at home and fully comfortable in each other’s presence, with a genuine belief that they can rely on the other person in their moment of need.
    Couples have an obligation to take care of each other and allow their spouse to grow and expand emotionally, spiritually or how ever they need to grow. They have a relationship based on mutual dependence and should be able to count on each other for support in day-to-day life.When you get married, you have many dreams and aspirations that you want fulfilled. It is the duty of the spouses to help each other grow and fulfil their desires. The relationship should not turn claustrophobic or suffocating for any partner.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:59 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I will define my own of 38 years. It is a give and take, compromise, lots of affection, trust, giving each other a feeling of worth, as the years go by sex becomes secondary and tenderness, sensuality replaces it sometimes. At 60 our sex is still good, but it's importance has dwindle and has been replaced by more intense feelings of love. Things do not ever stay the same but a love in a good relationship gets stronger with passing of time and events that take us there.

Answer by older at 9:06 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• By the way I bumped ya!

• Thanks older!
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 9:13 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• My marriage is a life long bond, a meshing of two lives, physical and emotional intimacy and companionship.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:58 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

That above. It doesn't matter if you have kids or not. Some people can't or won't have kids. Some people refuse to bring children into this messed up world. I love  having my kids, but I would still want to be married, even if kids were not part of the picture. I want to be with my husband for the rest of my life. I feel that he is my soul mate. I also believe that is all that matters; being with your soul mate.

NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:30 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• A marriage, nowadays, is about vowing to spend the 'rest of your lives together', putting the other person before yourself at times, about loving someone else with all your heart and declaring it publicly and legally.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:52 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I see marriage as purely legal. I can be in love and happy without marriage... I can have sex and children without marriage... I can spend forever with a man or woman that I love without ever being married... None of that has anything to do with marriage.

Marriage is simply a piece of paper which states IF something were to happen "This" is the person whom I have chosen to care for me and make choices for me and/or my children...

IF you look at marriage as a "spiritual" union as well (which it CAN be, but I prefer other options here such as handsfasting) then it's also an oath you & he are taking to each other to care for and love each other through ups and down. But to me, that's what love is, not marriage... I don't need words or paperwork to spell all that out.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:57 AM on Jul. 23, 2010