does anybody know.....

am not quite sure how to word this but here goes....how long does it take for what you eat to get to your breast milk? i need to find out what is bothering my baby's belly during the night and have switched my diet 2 diff. times. am not sure if it is b-fast/lunch/dinner that is getting her. tried to look info up online but couldn't find anything. would love to know.

thank you

carly7871

Asked by carly7871 at 9:04 AM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I do not know exactly but I'm thinking it's between 1-2 hours
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:07 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• It depends on what you eat. Like caffiene, tylenol, salt, alcohol all of it has different times. If you google it or check out kellymom.com there are some good resources.
    maggiebella25

Answer by maggiebella25 at 9:10 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I'm thinking the same or maybe a little longer. Try staying away from anything acidic or spicy. My first son was bothered by my breastmilk too, 17 years ago LOL.... so I eventually put him on formula.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 9:10 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• try jsut a vary bland diet for a day or two. my aunt had that issue and it was when she had milk cheese or yogurt, the baby was lactose intolerant
    megan1089

Answer by megan1089 at 9:10 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I would check www.kellymom.com...they are a great bf resource. GL!
    thea11ens

Answer by thea11ens at 9:11 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Ask your doc. but for sure u cant be drinking or smoking and no drugs and raw fish i know if u breast feed u still have to follow a diet like if your pregnant im not sure but1-2 hours at most just like if your eating and still pregnant
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 9:11 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I asked the same question when I was BFing. The answer I got was about 4 hours. And I found that to be more or less true (maybe give or take a 1/2 hour). Join the Breastfeeding Group here on CM. Those ladies are wonderful, full of advice, and very supportive!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 9:15 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I agree with kelllymom.com being a good resourse but I don't think you are going to find an answer. What you eat doesn't really go to your milk in that way. You digestive system is not connected to your breasts. The milk is made in the milk glands. They are modified sweat glands and aren't even connected to the blood system. It's actually rare for a baby to have problems with things from a mother's diet, that's why women can eat anything while breastfeeding. Your baby is probably fussy for other reasons.

Drugs like caffeine are different. Some drugs can get in the milk in small amounts. There are only a few drugs moms can't take and breastfeed.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:57 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I read that most reactions to something mommy ate via breastmilk usually occur within 2-6 hours of you ingesting it.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:59 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• As a mother with a food allergic child, I can assure you that a child *will* react to what a mother eats through breast milk. In fact, one of benefits of nursing is that exposing your child to different "tastes" and in theory end up without a picky eater in your future. Not all children (and not all that end up with allergies) do react to BM. My daughter didn't. I have friends in our allergy support groups, however, that had to be on such a restrictive diet that they ended up having to quit nursing for their own health. It happens. Start by eliminating one entire group for a few days. For example, go dairy free for couple of days and see if there's an improvement. Then reintroduce it. See if there's a correlation. Learn to read labels - you'll know if something has milk or a form of milk in it. Eliminate acidic foods for a few days. Cut spicy for a few days. (cont in next box)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:06 PM on Jul. 23, 2010