Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

7 Bumps

Is it safe to use something that had mold and mildew on it with a baby once you've washed it off?

I moved in with my mom a few months ago. I have been storing my things in her basement. Now that I'm moving out, as I unpack to repack, I'm finding a lot of my stuff covered in mold and mildew. I've thrown out quit a few things but I have a Baby Bjorn and Nojo Baby carriers that I would hate to throw away. How can I clean them well enough that I would know that all mold spores are gone and will not affect my next baby?

Answer Question
 
aziza4

Asked by aziza4 at 9:11 AM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Health

Level 3 (16 Credits)
Answers (14)
  • i bumped you. i would just toss it in the trash...but bleech might work but will take out color so im not sure....i hope you find your answer
    firstimemomm603

    Answer by firstimemomm603 at 9:13 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

  • I would only keep those items that I could BLEACH to death, and or wash thoroughly in a washer...hottest, longest, most agitating cycle--several times!!

    Even if you can't see the mold, the spores can still be active. And babies are susceptible to so many things. You're better off buying new!
    LoriKeet

    Answer by LoriKeet at 9:15 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

  • Mold can be deadly. It's not worth playing around with.
    lovinangels

    Answer by lovinangels at 9:17 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

  • wash it well in warm soapy water with disinfectant soap in it. and then let it air dry. also after it dries douse is in lysol or clorox disinfectant spray. let dry and them repeat the wash to get rid of the lysol fumes. it is is jsut a carrier o would clean it good. but if it is ANYTHING like a baby toy or something that may go into babies mouth i wouldnt chance it. GL
    sweetestkitten

    Answer by sweetestkitten at 9:17 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

  • I would just trash it. Or really wash it with bleach and sanitize.
    maggiebella25

    Answer by maggiebella25 at 9:17 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

  • you might try borax on them . . . borax can be used to sanitize like bleach. . .
    Kirs

    Answer by Kirs at 9:19 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

  • Throw it all out... Mold is nothing to mess with. Your safety and your baby's safety and health is the most important. The material stuff can be replaced.
    MasterMindMom

    Answer by MasterMindMom at 9:20 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

  • I wouldn't put it on my baby.. it could still be harmful.
    SuperrMommyy

    Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:30 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

  • I would just toss it... Breathing in mold spores is no joke for you and especially not for baby...
    BriHan06

    Answer by BriHan06 at 11:39 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

  • I would throw it all out. Mold is hard to kill and is not something I would want around my baby.
    notjstanothrmom

    Answer by notjstanothrmom at 11:42 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.