can caffenine hurt a baby

can it and what are the effects it can have on a baby

VILLEDA88

Asked by VILLEDA88 at 10:02 AM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Yes and no. Some women consume caffeine during their pregnancies and go on to have zero complications. For me, personally, it wasn't that way. Because I consumed even small amounts of caffeine, my daughter's heart did not mature at a normal rate. I had to have level 2 ultrasounds every week for about 3-4 weeks to check her heart and it was extremely stressful and scary. Once I cut out all caffeine (soda, chocolate...everything) her heart started maturing and now she's a very healthy and happy 2-1/2 year old. I'm pregnant again and completely staying away from all things caffeinated. Better safe than sorry in my opinion.
    purvislets

Answer by purvislets at 10:39 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• So the "experts" say that as long as you don't go over the limit of 300mg of caffeine a day it won't hurt the baby. This adds up to 2 cups of brewed coffee. I however am a strong believer in cutting out everything that could be harmful to the baby. This is tough for me because I was used to my morning coffee but I've learned to deal with it.
    faile

Answer by faile at 10:50 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Well I have had tons of caffeine during pregnancy and have not had an issue. However, both of my kids had colic; and I think this had a lot to do with it... do cut down as much as possible; i would limit it to 2 cups or less a day; and decaffeinated tea or coffee if you have to have your fix :)
    leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 11:55 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I haven't cut down my caffeine intake during this pregnancy...and my baby is maturing just fine. Her heart is good and everything. I was told that as long as I'm not drinking four or more cups of coffee a day, I'll be okay.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:10 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• You'll see lots of people say that they drink tons of coffee and their babies are fine. That's great but studies have shown that excessive caffeine can cause miscarriage. So, not everyone will have something bad happen but some will. Personally, I cut it out totally when I'm prego, but you can def still get your fix if you need it, just cut down if you really drink a lot.
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 12:42 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• As soon as I found out I was pregnant, I cut out ALL caffeine. The way I look at it is, you are only pregnant for 9 months. Wouldn't you want the best for your baby. I think that soda and coffee are a very SMALL sacrifice to make. Besides, it's healthier.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:17 PM on Oct. 2, 2008