Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do you have to have a job if you get a divorce and take your children but move in with someone who has money to support you and your kids?

like would a stay at home mom have to have a job once a divorce is filed and move someplace else with her kids but moved in with someone who has money to support her and her kids, would that count in court? or could she continue to be a stay at home mom?


Asked by americansugar80 at 9:25 AM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

Level 22 (12,423 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (3)
  • No, you don't HAVE to get a job after your divorce. As long as you have enough resources to pay your bills and provide for your kids. I never got a job after my divorce because I had enough money from selling our house, cash investments, child support, etc ... Depends on your situation and what kind of settlement you negotiate with your ex. Mine was ordered by the court to keep the kids on his health insurance and he kindly agreed to continue making my car payments. Figure out your living expenses before hand and be sure you'll have enough to cover them (plus a little extra stash for emergencies).

    Answer by 5BabyBees at 10:01 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

  • Not sure I understand. Are you asking if you'd have to have a job and a place to live before you file for divorce? If so, that's hard to say. It really depends on where you live and what the judge you see thinks about women not working. You can get a divorce, but whether or not you would be able to retain custody of your children...??? Depends on the judge.

    The best thing for you to do is consult a family law attorney. That would be the best person to advise you on YOUR circumstances and the best course of action for you. Other people living in other places having different judges and conditions really won't be able to tell you much that will be of any help to you in your situation.

    Good luck!!

    Answer by SimplyLaine at 9:31 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

  • Maybe if they get child support for all the kids, plus spousal support and maybe get the house that they are living in. If it's enough to cover finances then maybe she can continue to be a sahm. But I would at least get a part time job, you can't depend on your childrens child support to pay the bills.

    Answer by cynprz at 9:35 AM on Jul. 23, 2010