if you are a SAHM, do you sometimes wish that you are financially independent?

I used to work before having my child, and I was used to having my own seperate income,, my husband doesnt nag about money, but of course I have limits for spending, after all what he brings home is for all of us... and we also have to save for our kid's future,, anyway,, sometimes, I do miss being financially indpendent, especially when i wanna buy stuff for myself, or a gift for a friend or something...etc,

anyone feels the same? what do you think?

P.S (of course I know that lots of working moms are helping with the house expences)

but if you have the choice for an independent income which you have the choice to spend the way you like)....

mommy_sam

Asked by mommy_sam at 9:59 AM on Jul. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• Ugh, yes! I hate not being able to buy DH and LO's gifts for birthday's/Christmas. Of course DH insists that everyting he makes IS my money, but it isn't the same. I TOTALLY get where you're coming from!
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 10:01 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Oh hell ya! I swear if I hear him say one more time that I am "Nickle and Diming him to death" I may beat him with my broomstick.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 10:02 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• glad to hear someone feels the same,, I thought something is wrong with me because my husband says the same,, but I just dont feel like it is....
    mommy_sam

Comment by mommy_sam (original poster) at 10:03 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• yes... and YES...my husband sometimes annoys me he will give me 25 bucks for the week and keep the rest and go well its for us to use if we go out to eat and what not... soooo why should you have it all and i get 25 bucks, then with that "spending cash" he tells me to fill my gas tank.. so tech that is not spending money at all in my eyes
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 10:04 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• my husband always tell me that I shouldnt be so sensitive about it and that what he makes is mine but I just cant help it,, I miss having my OWN money,, it's just different...
    mommy_sam

Comment by mommy_sam (original poster) at 10:04 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I have been a sahm since my oldest was 10 months old and she turned 17 in June! In the early years it was really hard and I should have kept working. But we made it! Now as we approach the college years I think I should have stayed working again!! But yea, I get how it feels like it isn't your money, but the truth is, it is. I am not going to get into the whole working mom and sahm battle, you do what you have to for yourself and your family. But there were times when having some extra money of my own would have been nice. My dh doesn't say it is "his money" any more because if he had to pay some one to do what I do he would have NO money!!
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 10:08 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• well my situation is different than yours. i want to be independent so that he can finally feel like his hard earned money is his own. mine feels like he works for nothing and just to pay bills and nothing else and he HATES IT. he gets grumpy and moody when his money down, and he takes it upon himself to try to handle it the way he sees fit, and ends up spending waaay more than he should, then i get the cold shoulder bc hes unhappy with himself! so i think i will get a full time job and let him stay home with the kids
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 10:08 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• hell yes!
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:14 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• My husband doesn't even give me any money...I don't even have an ATM card. Hell, he would pitch a fit when the boys would take quarters out of the change jar to buy something to drink at school. Dude would be in deep sh*t if I divorced him, he would be forking over a fortune in alimony and child support not to mention paying a mortgage on a house he would no longer be living in. He should feel blessed....
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 11:02 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Only every day. That is why I'm in school. I worked for nearly 10 years before I stayed home with our first baby and I miss having money of my own. My husband says what he makes belongs to both of us but it's not the same thing.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:28 AM on Jul. 23, 2010