sleeping with a newborn and a toddler

If you need a nap and your toddler doesn't

Childproof a room of the house that has:

* a door or a baby gate (so your toddler can't "escape" and play in the toilet while you're resting)
* a bed or comfortable spot on the floor where you can lie down and nurse
* interesting toys that your toddler is likely play with without much interaction - some moms also put on a favorite video
* a snack and a drink for toddler

When you want to nap (or at least rest) while baby naps, close off the door so you can lie down with baby without worrying about what your toddler is getting into. A friend says she would lie on the floor with baby and let her toddlers use mom as a "road" for their matchbox cars - rest and a massage all "rolled" into one!

SOOO question is.. anyone done this? put toddler in room so you could nap with newborn napped? idk i think id feel guilty .. but idk .. any input on it?

oppsdiditagain

Asked by oppsdiditagain at 9:59 AM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• ya right my 2.5 year old even my 5 year old wouldn't let me sleep even if i tried lol.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:07 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• that happen to me once but only because i was very and i mean very tired. my newborn had been very fuzzzy the night before and i literally didnt sleep at all. he had finallly fell asleep at 7 am and thats when my 2 year old sonwoke up. since we all sleep in the same room and hubby had already left to work we were in the romm by ourselfs. ( my whole house is childproof he cant open the toilet by himslef either) the door was close and he was laying down watching cars. so next thing you know i fell asleep for like 20 minutes when i woke up my son was still there laying down watching the movie. but yueah then i just woke up took a red bull and started my day. when hubby got home from work he stayed with the kids and i actually napped
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 10:13 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I hae done something similar- in the first 2 wks after my second son was born we used to have a cars nap n snack....I was on my own from the day I got out of the hospital after my csectin with a newborn and 3 yr old...I was exhausted. I got dry cereal in a toddler bowl, cup of water and put them on the night stand next to my bed....put Cars in the dvd player and we all sat on the couch..I nursed Klay and was in and out of it checking on Karl. The thing with my 3yr old is-- a baby gate is no match for him...Locked doors are no match...those plastic covers for door knobs are a laugh because he figured them out in 2 days....So I shut my bedroom door and hang a bell on the doorknob. :)
    szeimetz

Answer by szeimetz at 10:32 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• This is going to be my situation in October lol. The good thing is that my 20 month old stil naps and lets just hope she still naps when the baby comes that way all 3 of us can nap together lol.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 10:41 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• That will be me in November w a 23 month old and newborn just can't imagine closing door and napping I'd be too worried
    oppsdiditagain

Comment by oppsdiditagain (original poster) at 11:04 AM on Jul. 23, 2010