6wk old not pooing on his own

My son is 6 weeks old...Saturday sun and mon he didnt poo (he's exclusivly breast fed). Doc said to give him a suppository...that did the trick but then tues wed he didnt go...told to give yet another suppository. Its friday ad he hasnt gone again. I dont want him to becme dependent on suppositories to go. Hes very gassy and has been getting that out but is still crabby ad you can tell his tummy doesnt feel good. Any tips on getting him to poo on his own?

szeimetz

Asked by szeimetz at 10:19 AM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At 6 weeks old, he should be having a bowel movement everyday. I would say give him a little apple juice, but he's still a little young for that.
    When my son was that old and constipated, we would put him in a warm bath, and gently rub his tummy. It did the trick most of the time.
    AMZF812

Answer by AMZF812 at 10:22 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Keep nursing him, he will go. All 3 of ours did that, it seemed like forever between BM's but they finally went on their own. I didn't give them anything for it, just made sure they were hydrated (nursed a bit more)....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:23 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• It's very normal for a ebf baby to go several days without a bm. My daughter had a stretch of about 10 days once. Stop giving suppositories and just keep nursing.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 10:23 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• My pedi explained it to me as this:

Because breastmilk is so nutritious for baby, their body can actually absorb basically all of it, leaving no waste behind, therefor no poop. I was told to only be concerned if the abdomen starts looking swollen.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:27 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• It can be normal for a breastfed baby to only have stools a couple of times a week because human milk is digested so well. Breastfed babies don't get constipated and don't need suppositories. If your baby is growing well don't worry about how often he poops. Lucky you, less poopy diapers. Don't give him any juice or anything by mouth. It will change the normal flora (microbes) in his gut for up to a month. Babies are supposed to have only breastmilk for 6 mo. If you are giving vitamins with iron the iron can cause problems. Suppositories don't cure gas.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:28 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• This article should ease your mind.

http://www.babycareadvice.com/babycare/general_help/article.php?id=48
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 10:29 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

•  

http://www.kellymom.com/ is a great breastfeeding website.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:30 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• My daughter was EBF and she pooped every 4-5 days when she was about 3moths all the way until we had to start a little formula at 5 months. (I worked and couldn't seem to pump well) Our ped said not to supplement with anything until it had been past 7 days.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:37 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• thank you all! I have tried giving him a bath...he hates baths so THAT didnt work. We've been good about tummy time and moving around to try and help things move if they're going to. Im alright with the gas...I just wanted to make sure it was normal for him not to poo daily...everyone always says something different (daily- weekly- twice a wk ect). I havent givin him apple jice...I was told to do that with my first and it just caused him more issues and never really helped...
    szeimetz

Comment by szeimetz (original poster) at 10:39 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I EBF all three of my kids. My first had a BM with every single diaper. My second would go once everyday and now my third will go a couple of days in between and then have a day where he poops a few times throughout the day. I would stop giving him suppositories, don't give him juice or anything else. Just leave him be and he will poop when he needs to.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:48 AM on Jul. 23, 2010