Do you think racists can change?

Would you believe it of someone like Mel Gibson said they had changed, and were no longer racist? What about the Black Panther who chanted about killing white babies?

Can and do racists change?

MunchMunch

Asked by MunchMunch at 10:19 AM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't know. Is there a 12 step program for racists? LOL
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:52 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Sure. I would say Shirley Sherrod is a good example.
    Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 10:23 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I believe that anybody can change, if they really truly want to. However, I do have a few family members who are racist and I am ashamed of them. I'm very glad that we live nowhere near each other. They are so hateful and are raising their kids in that manner. It's so sad to see the cycle continue.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 10:27 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I think PERSPECTIVE is everything. Racism is not an incurable disease...The hardest things to change about oneself sometimes  though are the things we were RAISED believing....

As an adult, if you are able to change your persepctive and see things in a new light...you can most definately change

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:55 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I think everyone has the potential for change.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 10:57 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Yes, with the right guidance and support people can change. Is it easy? No.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:46 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I wouldn't go so far as to say Sherrod is or was a racist. She was a product of her upbringing--we have all had those experieces. My grandmother is 86. She still refers to black people as coloreds--it makes me cringe to my toes. I spend a great deal of time apologizing to the nurses in her nursing home. These wonderful people put it into perspective for me--she is a product of her upbringing. It was acceptable in the 30-40-50-60's to make such references. I never heard her say anything like that until her Alzheimers took hold. Does that make her racist? No. Sherrod realized the error of her thinking and changed on a dime. There is a big difference.
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 1:06 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• It is hard to teach an old dog new tricks, but nothing is impossible, just need someone to guide them to see the error of their ways.

Answer by older at 10:21 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• yes, i think through certain experiecnes that anyone can shed their ignorance. I think Mel Gibson is a a nut case though. That man just has darkness in him...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:21 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I think everyone is racist to a point,so no...I don't think racists can change...
    I remember an incident back when my mother was still alive and working for the hospital...she was QUALIFIED highly for her position,yet she was 'let go' due to the 'affirmative action' movement. She didn't take it lying down and in fact,not only got her job back,she got the equipment she was supposed to have gotten since DAY ONE of her employment. Oh,yea..she was deaf and they tried to say due to that she 'couldn't do her job 'appropiately'.,yet they wanted her to be the interpreter for the deaf/hard of hearing patients that couldn't hear.
    Nope,racists can't change. You see it everyday and it is getting worse.
    starrsun

Answer by starrsun at 10:34 AM on Jul. 23, 2010