Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

please help i have friend that has a toddle that eat every thing

he is 17 mos. and he eat every thing and it is making him sick. he eat cat food every thing out sida like rock and every in the yard .is they some thing she can try .we have try give him food and toys but he just go back to eating thing .please help thanks

Answer Question

Asked by armywife3013 at 10:57 AM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 3 (20 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • kids are really curious. It is bound to happen sooner or later, like the other day I was look right at my 16 month old and he ate a moth. All I can say is watch him really close and discourage it when he eats any non-food item

    Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:05 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

  • he eat every thing all day long . her hate take him out sida

    Comment by armywife3013 (original poster) at 11:09 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

  • Don't try to give him alternatives to eat or things to play with. Diciplin him when he eats something that is toxic or inedible. She needs to be firm about not eating certain things and if he attempts to then he needs a time out. Bribing him with food and toys will only create a dependency on food. Meaning that he'll turn to food for just about everything, as it appears he's already doing that. She needs to take him to the doctor first of all and see if anything he's eaten has harmed his body in any way. She needs to list EVERYTHING that he's ingested. The doctor will have some suggestions about how to stray him from this behaviour. Basically she just needs to keep a very close eye on him, keep him occupied, and restrict his eating to only 3 meals a day. Don't give him snacks or anything, because this will only feed his need to eat all day.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:23 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

  • She should talk to her pediatrician to get advice. While it is common for toddlers to eat non-food items, it sounds like this child may be taking it to an extreme. A doctor may be the best person to provide guidance and ensure there isn't another problem causing this.

    Answer by momofryan07 at 4:15 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

  • I would have him looked at by a pediatrician... sounds like PICA if it's that extreme.

    Answer by AmiJanell at 10:29 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

  • thank u all

    Comment by armywife3013 (original poster) at 11:19 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.