Where is the support?

Why does it seem so hard to find support and people to help with autism? It seems like other than here, I can't find anything in my area?

CSJMommy3

Asked by CSJMommy3 at 11:00 AM on Jul. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• Talk to your kid's doctor. There are other people who are having the same problems and the doctor is the one thing they have in common. Just ask him/her if they know of a group of mommies having your problem. Or start one yourself and see if you can hang fliers up in the office. I talked to my daughter's doctor about this (she has a somewhat uncommon heart problem) and he talked to other parents about it, asked if they needed to meet with other parents. Her doctor was out of state, but I emailed some of them a few times.
    Also, look in your local paper. There is usually a list of support groups. Here, there are two or three for parents of autistic children.
    Good luck.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:27 AM on Jul. 23, 2010