How do you mothers of more than 2 children do it?

I have a 23 month old and a 9 month old. I love them and love being a SAHM. I think I would really loose it if I had to work plus run a home. But days like this, which are a lot anymore, when my oldest is screaching within minutes of waking, because he can't have his juice in a bottle. Then when they are both screaming....I just want to smash something. I take anxiety meds, but let's face it, no amount of drugs is going to take all the stress away. My hubby is currently home for a stretch of time, but that isn't helping, the oldest is still screaching. I give him attention, and he still does it, when something doesn't go his way. I know, it's normal. I have a degree dealing with development and early childhood. But today is one of those days. And my hubby constantly is talking about having a third. I am not sure my nerves will handle another one. Any suggestions on how to cope with just the day to day stuff??...

2BlondeBabies

Asked by 2BlondeBabies at 11:12 AM on Jul. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• You just kind of take things day by day, or minute by minute depending on the situation.  Everyone has days like that.  I'm a SAHM to 5.  They are 10, almost 9, almost 8, 4 and 9 days old.  My oldest has a behavior problem that takes up 90% of my time...or it did until the baby came and now he takes up most of my time.  I just spent the last 3 months alone with them while my husband worked in another state so I was basically a single mother and had no car so I was stuck at home the whole time while very, very pregnant.  There were days I didn't think I could make it through to bed time and other days when things went smoothly.  I just took some days minute by minute and locked myself in my room when I needed a break.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:38 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Um... I wonder how people can have more than 1 let alone any more than that.. I call our son a 3 in 1 child.. He has more energy than 3 kids put together and more mood swings than 3 also - I don't know .. He keeps me FULLY busy.. I couldn't imagine having another one.. he's made it VERY Clear he MUST be an only....!! Good luck mommy.. I take anxiety meds too but you're right.. sometimes bedtime can't come fast enough!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:15 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• *hugs* LOL mine are 3 & 4 so I understand. All I can say is it does get better! As their communication skills develop it gets much easier to figure out what the heck they are screaming about.

Take a mommy time out! leave the kiddos with hubby and go to your favorite store, you don't even have to buy anything, just look. I go hit the dollar bins at the craft store for my time outs ;o)
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:16 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• well im a STAHM of 4. i think maybe on days like yours alternate between being outside and inside? change of scenery can help a little. Mine are older so i can send them outside and they can ride 4wheelers and such. Be sure to have stuff outside that they enjoy, swimming pools, trampolines, swingsets and whatever else you'd like for them. Wear them down mama.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 11:20 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• haha somedays i really want to hide in my broom closet!! hubby just left for his 2nd tour overseas. last time i only had the 2 kids this time i have 3. 4 yr old 20 month old and a newborn. life for us is CrAzY. we are still adjusting to daddy being gone tho. but for the most part we just take things one hr at a time, one day at a time. if they strt to get too roudy or crazy i let them color or go outside if its not too hot. keeping them busy really helps me in a way. other times i make them go play in the back part of the house or in each others rooms with some cartoons on while i clean or whatever. but for the most of the day i have cartoons on the big tv in the living room and they have free roam of the house untill lunch then aiden takes a nap and riley plays in her room untill he gets up. but definatly take some mommy time to recharge your batteries and get it together! my mommy time is i smoke.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 11:22 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• its 5-10 minute severy 2 hrs that the kids cant come outside or bother me! : ) if you eer need anyone to talk to feel free to message me.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 11:23 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Breathe. I know it's hard, I have a 5, 4, and 2 year old. Sometimes you just have to lock yourself in the bathroom calm yourself. Do you try punishing the oldest for his fits? Being that he is almost two, and two is a bad age when it comes to who is the boss. Try making yourself feel happy in those bad moments. Try to smile and hum as he screams at you. You'd be shocked at how "being happy" can really help. It takes practice and it only works for awhile then you have to recharge yourself.
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 11:27 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Yup..I'm a mom of three...but thankfully, they are 9, 5, &1 and the 9 & 5 spend a alot of time together and playing with friends in the neighborhood. I feel for you..your little ones are real close in age and both tough ages. It will get better...they won't be this small forever.
    texasmom010409

Answer by texasmom010409 at 11:32 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I have 5 kids with a 13 1/2 yr difference between the oldest and youngest, but the last 3 were born within 3 years. I totally understand where you're coming from! You'll have days like this when you wish you had 3 more sets of hands and just PRAY for the day to end soon, and other days will seem so easy. If you are able to get just 30 minutes a day to yourself (do they nap at the same time?) then you need to do something that you enjoy - do NOT clean house or do laundry, etc.- it will help you. When mine were younger I would take the time after they went to bed to do MY thing. Looking forward to that time to myself often kept me going on those tough days.
    ~hugs~
    If you do have a third, you'll be able to handle it. You'd be surprised at what we moms can do when we have to.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:57 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• BTW we have a pretty normal consistent schedule. Other than daddy being home then gone for stretches of time, it's a normal life.
    2BlondeBabies

Comment by 2BlondeBabies (original poster) at 11:13 AM on Jul. 23, 2010