Why would you as a woman and a mother vote for Sarah Palin?

Is anyone else amazed (in a bad way) about how many women are voting for Palin? She's anti-woman with all her beliefs. Why would anyone, any woman, any mother want to vote for a woman that is against abortion in the case of rape and incest? What if your daughter were raped? Would you want her to carry that child even if she doesn't want it? Well, if Palin and McCain are in office that may be a reality. Why would you as a woman and a mother vote for Sarah Palin? I'm looking for intelligent responses so don't say you're voting for her because she's a woman or you like her. I want specifics.

lilmel1694

Asked by lilmel1694 at 10:28 AM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• NONONONONONONONONONONONONO. And not solely for her views as an emasculated Barbie, but... I'm sorry there are only 1,000 characters and there are just soooo many reasons....
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:36 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• So, apparently you've based your decision on ONE issue, rather than all of them??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• No, actually, I have many issues with her such as her stance on oil drilling, global warming, and her "foreighn policy experience" because she can supposedly see Russia from her backyard. I'm asking how can women and mothers vote for someone against abortion in the case of rape or incest.
    lilmel1694

Answer by lilmel1694 at 10:42 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Since you are basing all of use voting for her just on the one issue, then that's what I'll answer. There are many women and men in this country who are against abortion in all circumstances, not just Sarah Palin. While that might seem "anti-woman", I suppose you could also say that makes us "pro-innocent children". I understand completely how detrimental rape and incest are I don't believe in punishing a child who has done nothing wrong. Yes, I understand that going through an unwanted pregnancy because of rape or incest can be a terrible burden on someone who's already been through so much....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• ...But I believe that every person has rights no matter how small that person is. And before you say that I have no experience in this, a very good friend of mine was raped by her stepfather and ended up giving birth to two children that belonged to him. Her stepfather was prosecuted to the fullest extent, but neither she or her family believed that the unborn babies deserved to be punished as well. She was able to finish school, graduate from college and now is married to a wonderful man who loves those children like his own. No, it wasn't easy in any sense of the word but, in my opinion, it was the right thing to do. Punish the offender, not the innocent.
    Anonymous

• Well, I won't vote for McCain/Palin for that reason and several more. Their stance on energy, regulation of wall street, their obvious pandering to big money lobbyists, and their stance on health-care, gay marriage, civil rights, the war in Iraq, the war in Afganistan, the refusal to separate church and state, and their views on public school credits. But that is me.

And I would challenge the woman that said, anon, that we aren't voting for her based upon one issue. But, most of the people that I bump into on CM are only for her because she is pro-life. Might not be you, but way too many mccain/palin people have said that and it is way hard to ignore.
    FiveofaKind

Answer by FiveofaKind at 11:00 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I only adressed that issue above because that's the only issue that the OP addressed in their question.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Yes, Yes, Yes:-) Because she is pro-life!! Rape is a violent act--why try to remedyit with another violent act that kills a child. Go to Rachel's Vineyard website and you will find many women who had wished they had given their children life (from rape) and chose adoption---but such pregnancies are the exception not the rule--and as a people we should be willing to protect the most helpless among us.  If it ain't alive you wouldn't have to kill it--so it must be alive.  Women's rights?  That is an odd term especially when most women site "rights" that truly keep them enslaved.  How about human rights? 

Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 11:24 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I would never vote for a candidate based on their sex, race, age, etc.
    That being said, here are 10 reasons why you should not vote for her including her view on abortion.
    #1: Palin opposes a woman’s right to choose what to do with her own body, opposing the right to an abortion even for rape victims.

#2: Palin believes that Creationism should be taught in public schools, which runs both counter to well-settled evolutionary science, and to the Constitutional separation of church and state.

#3: Palin is a global warming denier, who (as with her views on evolution) has expressed skepticism about the well-settled science.

#4: Palin opposes listing polar bears as an endangered species, because it means oil and gas companies might have to be just a little bit careful out there.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 11:32 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• ...cont.

#5: Palin is rabidly dedicated to drilling in the Artic wildlife refuge, known as ANWR.

#6: Palin is in the midst of a growing ethics scandal, involving the alleged abuse of her gubernatorial power to punish a State Trooper who is her sister’s ex-husband, firing a State Commissioner who refused to go along.

#7: Palin called Hillary Clinton a “whiner”, even as she cynically tries to woo Clinton voters to the McCain ticket.

#8: Palin has very little experience for the Vice Presidential job, serving less than two years so far of her first term as Governor of a state with fewer residents than Fort Worth, Texas. (Previously, she was Mayor of Wasilla, Alaska, pop. 8,500.)
    njmommy2boys