I am considering joining the Air Force and need some opinons of their experience?

I am almost 24 and I have a almost 3 year old. I really want to better my life for me and my family. I wanna do something to be proud of. I know I can do the physical and mental part of the military, I'm just really nervous about leaving my child for a long period of time. I am married and his dad is very involved. I just need some opinions and other mom's experiences.

Aidensmommy1115

Asked by Aidensmommy1115 at 11:32 AM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• I can be a good thing...however I would be affraid just because of the timing
    but do your own research-find people who have been in the airforce, I hear too often that the recruiters feed you a line of crap thats not true like where you can live and what you will be doing..etc..they make you think you can live wherever you want and do whatever you want...etc...
    eleecpht

Answer by eleecpht at 11:34 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• yeah, I've heard that. My best friend is 15 years older than me and she joined the military when she was my age. So, tells me a lot of things. I just REALLY wanna make sure this is what I wanna do.
    Aidensmommy1115

Comment by Aidensmommy1115 (original poster) at 11:38 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I personally would never join.
    1. I highly disagree with war.
    2. There is no way I am going to leave my kids for months at a time.
    3. They don't pay very well.
    notjstanothrmom

Answer by notjstanothrmom at 11:45 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• A good friend of mine compromised and joined the Air Guard. She's been in for almost 20 years now. Several years ago she took a job on base and she loves it. She still has to do her one weekend a month and one week a year (I think) for training, but at least she's not away from her kids as much.

Just do your research and talk to people in the Air Force and then go from there.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I think that you are at the perfect time to join the Air Force, if that is what you want to do. Your son is old enough to remember you if you go away for six months (that's how long the USAF deploys for) - it would be much harder to leave a newborn, I think. Also, he is young enough that if you join now, he will just accept deployments every couple of years as a way of life, and not be upset by them.

The money is pretty good (REALLY good if you compare it to other entry-level jobs) and you are right - being in the military is something for your whole family to be proud of. My husband is in the USAF Reserves, and has deployed several times (we have 3 young kids) so if you have any questions about that, message me and I'd be happy to give you ideas to help you stay close to your son while deployed. Also, my husband was active duty before he joined the Reserves so I can answer other questions, too :)
    SAHM_USAF

Answer by SAHM_USAF at 12:27 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I was active duty AF for almost 10 yrs. I think it could actually be good for your son as it could give him the chance to experience things and places that he otherwise might not. As SAHM USAF pointed out, the AF generally does have shorter deployments. The AF is also known for being more family oriented. The AF has lots of bases all over the world. Having said all of that, I now return to where my loyalty is now and step away from USAF.....back to USMC....OOORAH! ;)
    OneBlessedWife

Answer by OneBlessedWife at 1:08 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Haha OneBlessedWife, we all have loyalties to different branches ;) but I definitely agree with you that the Air Force is easier for a family.
    SAHM_USAF

Answer by SAHM_USAF at 1:14 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• the military is a fine way of life.....but get your body in shape before you go off to basic.....be able to run 3 to 4 miles, be able to do pushups and not girly push ups, sit ups, you walk everywhere, no matter the weather!
    work on your upper body strength....be prepared to catch everyones cold in the dorms! You cant phone home for the first few weeks of basic....how's your tolerence for being screamed at for long periods of time...The T.I.'s cant touch you but they can still make you feel like crap....the moneys not bad, just dont buy a new car the second you get stationed, you would be amazed at the repo's that happen....Yes I made it up to week 6 of basic trainings and the confidence course did me in, messed up my ankles and my left knee....and i was slated to be a dental tech, the dont go easy on you even if the career field is in desperate need !
    My husband went through the army and changed over to the AF.
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 12:46 AM on Jul. 25, 2010