Can I drink green tea while breastfeeding?

I know that green tea messes with the absorption of folic acid and should therefore be avoided during pregnancy. Is there any reason to avoid it while breastfeeding?

jupiter84

Asked by jupiter84 at 11:38 AM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Green tea has a lot less caffeine than coffee, so I think you're fine in moderation. If your baby starts to show signs of being affected, then you just stop drinking it. And you can put honey in your tea. No worries, whatsoever. The baby can't have raw honey, but you can have honey.

http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/caffeine.html
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:05 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I've never heard of avoiding it through pregnancy... But I wouldn't see any reason to avoid it through breast feeding... Your breast milk is tailored to the needs of the baby, and your body will find what it needs!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:40 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Caffeine will go to your child. At a filtered rate no less. I did a lot of caffeine with my last child and she never slept. So think about that.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:42 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• No, not reason to avoid it. Just limit intake. It has a lot of caffeine. unless you want your little one to be buzzing! lol
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:43 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I am not sure if you can or can not. However I would say to be very careful if you use honey.
    I would say asking your doctor is best.
    SassyDee01963

Answer by SassyDee01963 at 11:44 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• How does it affect you? I drink green tea with no feelings of anything from the caffeine. DH, who can drink 2 espressos and then go to bed for the night, gets the full effect of the caffeine.

Start with a small amount and see you the two of you do. And take it from there.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:57 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I am curious about this too. I really like green tea so I would like to know the facts on this. Maybe read some research about green tea and breast feeding.
    beautyoperator

Answer by beautyoperator at 12:09 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Of course you can drink green tea. You can eat or drink anything. You can drink one or two alcoholic drinks. You can breastfeed if you smoke. You can take almost all medications and breastfeed. The "rules" about breastfeeding are myths.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:48 AM on Jul. 24, 2010