My daughter's 5th birthday is on Halloween. She wants ALL of her new classmates to come. We just moved to PA from NY and she doesnt know anyone so 30+ kids is okay with me. I need ideas for a HUGE birthday party

preferably I'll hold the party outside weather permitting. I can't do girly stuff-half her guests are boys. any cool neutral themes? It figures that we got an invitation for a Halloween birthday party that will be held in 2 weeks. That's what I was going to do! I thought fall theme? any good game ideas? Thanks!

amkarvelis

Asked by amkarvelis at 10:34 AM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Entertainment

• for the little kids we did bobbing for apples. we tied donuts on strings and let the kids try to bite the donuts. they loved that. i boiled some eggs and then cracked the shells but left the shells on. then i soaked the eggs in black food coloring, when i removed the cracked shells the food coloring caused the eggs to look like eyeballs. i used a sharpie to color the iris on the eggs and we used them in a spoon race. the kids had to run and keep the eyeballs on the spoon. we cut out large skeletons bones from construction paper in different colors. and teams were grouped up in colors and then the team had to go find their color of bones and put their skeleton together to win. we played spooky music from the dollar store and had a dance contest. i bought a crystal ball from Spencer's and pretended to tell their fortunes and read their palms.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:15 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Well you can still hold a Halloween birthday party, so what if she is already going to one? I would just decorate with a Halloween theme, and throw some Happy Birthday banners in there, and call it good.

I had a halloween party when I was a kid, something we did was bob for apples! Although I think we did it out of a 5 gallon bucket instead of a half-barrel...lol.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:05 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• My daughter WANTS to do bobbing for apples but, being the new mom on the block, i'm a little worried about. It's such a fun activity, but what if a mom lets her kid come to the party ill. if everyone gets a nasty case of the flu, I would imagine i'd be blackballed! :)
    amkarvelis

Answer by amkarvelis at 11:13 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• If she wants to do bobbing for apples, then why not buy like 6 smaller buckets and line them up at the kids leve and make a small challenge out of it. Divide the kids into 3 or 4 equal teams and see which team gets the apples faster! Wash the buckets after each use, that way your daughter has what she wants without getting everyone sick in the process. I think its a win win!

You can have a winners circle, where the winners get to choose a prize, (they can be things from the dollar store) at the end of the party whoever doesn't have a prize gets to pick one just for participating.

Also I've been looking online for party ideas also and i found that you can do a bowling game. You take same size watter bottles and put food coloring in them (fun colors) and have them bowl.

J.mom.2007

Answer by J.mom.2007 at 11:28 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• i think it would be cute to carve pumkins. you know those tiny little ones that cost like a dollar. buy a pack of white tee's to slip over their clothes so they don get messy, cut the top off, let them scoop the goop then help to carve. or a cleaner version, give them the pumpkin and markers and everyone can color their pumpkins.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:50 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• The ideas above sound great! I especially like the donut one! I just might use that for my DD's next b-day...

Stick w/ the Halloween theme if that's what your daughter wants. After all, I don't think too many 5 yr olds are gonna complain about having too many Halloween parties! lol Use lots of orange, black, white & purple colored things around for decorations...the fun part of Halloween is that ALL kids get into it--boys & girls.

If it's in your budget, I'd get a bouncy house...that way you can maybe divide the group of kids up & while you're "entertaining" part of the group w/ activities that need your attention, the other part of the group can be having fun too! Even if it's dark, the bouncy house will be fun--just be sure to shine some lights into it.

mockinbird

Answer by mockinbird at 3:53 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Is there a place where you could get hay bales for free or cheap? Set them up as a maze or race track for the kids to get through or just as extra hiding places for a game of Hide & Go Seek.

Are you doing this during the day or at night? If during the day, you could set the time for the party in the afternoon, have the kids wear their costumes to the party & have the parents come pick up the kids just in time to go trick or treating all together in your neighborhood.
    mockinbird