How do moms work full time and still manage to be a good parent and not stressed out?

My husband wants me to get a full time job and the thought of it really stresses me out. I substitute teach during the school year and have summers off. I know that if I get a full time job I will be miserable and very stressed out. I don't want to be a grumpy absent parent because that will reflect on my children. Spending time and enjoying them is my number 1 priorty in life and I know that if I were to work full time I will be miserable.

staceynoel

Asked by staceynoel at 11:53 AM on Jul. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• well if you go in with the attitude that you will be miserable, you will.....
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:53 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Throw in school full time and you got my scedule since last August! Honestly, don't sweat the small stuff. Laugh it off instead of yell and no matter how old the kid(s) are, talk EVERYTHING out. Don't forget about you either, I lock my DD and I in her room and I nap while she plays. Good luck!
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 11:55 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I just have a routine and enjoy my dd when I am home. I work 8 to 430 but she is school age. In the summer she has a chore list and i pay her for it. She has to shower and pickup after herself, feed the dogs, plus one chore daily. It ranges from empty dishwasher to fold and put away one load of laundry. If i stay on top of it then I can enjoy my time with her when I am at home. You just get used to it. I use the crockpot and grill out alot because it is easy and quick.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:56 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• No, I know that I will be miserable because when I sub alot during the week I get really grumpy, I hate those weeks, I just feel so rushed and I feel like a terrible parent
    staceynoel

Comment by staceynoel (original poster) at 11:57 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• It's easier if you don't do it alone. If you have a husband who will actually pitch in it makes it a lot less stressful. If your husband can't pull his weight, then you will be stressed and possibly resentful.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:57 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Exactly as the first mom said, if you go into it with that attitude then you will be miserable. I am not an absent parent just because I work full time and neither will you. Lots of mom's have to work for one reason or another.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 11:58 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• No, my husband does not pitch in, he's a work aholic and is always in his den working. And when he's not working he's working out or doing yard/pool work.
    staceynoel

Comment by staceynoel (original poster) at 11:59 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

Get up earlier so you aren't rushed and working is what some HAVE to do for their family. You do what you gotta do to care for your family....I've worked full time for 10yrs now and I'm a good parent and my son loves me and see's how hard I work for him. You'll be fine.........
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 12:01 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I'm not sure of the exact question here. No offense, but you seem pretty set on idea of being miserable. I work fulltime and I have 2 kids ages 11 and 4. I have ALWAYS worked fulltime. Here's how we do it so everyone feels loved and included. I get up in the AM and get reday BEFORE I wake them. That way I can help the oldest with her fits of not finding the exact right bracelet and the youngest with why she can't wear 2 different shoes. Then I take them to daycare. We take turns picking music for the ride. After work, I pick them up. We talk about little things. At home we have "themed" days. One day is library night- we all go together. One day is "Cooking" night- we cook together. You get the idea. At dinner, we talk about each person's day. Then we play together (or NEAR each other, at least) until bath time. Little one gets 1/2 hour of alone time before she goes to bed. Big one gets alone time once little one is asleep.
    emhain

Answer by emhain at 12:18 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• And by "alone time" I mean time alone with ME. No sister to compete with.
    emhain