Opening a daycare???

I know a lot of you have probably considered this, whether for extra money or to be able to stay home with your children... My husband recommended it last night and threw me off guard completely. He has no patience with kids (except our baby girl - and sometimes thats questionnable). I love kids. I just really don't know if mentally I can handle 5 tantrums at the same time... or keeping kids of all ages occupied... You moms that have a bunch of kids, thats awesome for you. I admire you, but I really don't know if I could do it. Maybe this is something everyone worries about when considering opening a daycare. I know I would have fun with them, and could teach them a lot, but I dont know if I can handle all the meltdowns. Also I am worried about keeping up with all of the guidelines of licensing... I would have my husband do that.

LovinMyMikayla

Asked by LovinMyMikayla at 10:43 AM on Oct. 2, 2008 in General Parenting

• I don't think that melt downs would be my biggest concern. I think that you would find that the kids are well behaved for you. Usually kids are better for someone else then they are for their own parents and I think that this would be true here as well.

For me I think the hard part would be having to stay home. All of my children are in school and I have the freedom to do whatever I want.

I think if it is something you really want to do then you can do it. You could look into it and see what the rules are for your state and area, Another great way to try it out is to watch a friends children for them. If you can do this, it might give you some insight as to whether this is something you could do for a living.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 3:17 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I have considered this, too, but for me, I would hate to be tied down to the house from 6 am to 6pm all week long. Although you would be technically home with your kids, your attention would be divided among many children. On the other hand, your children would get the socialization they would benefit from, and you would be able to earn an income and not worry about who is taking care of your child. You could always specialize in a certain age group, or just offer before and after school care. It is a tough decision either way. Ultimately, I decided it just wasn't right for me, but you may have found a great opportunity for your family.
    Lovemy2girlsKK

Answer by Lovemy2girlsKK at 11:35 AM on Oct. 2, 2008