Do you think that every child is entitled?

To their own room? Or do you think it's a priveledge?

I ask because growing up, my 3 sisters and myself had one room and my brother had his own but I hear loads of moms that balk at kids being made to share a room.

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 11:56 AM on Jul. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• No, they are not entitled to their own space. Entitled? Are you kidding? I shared a room, so do my kids. No, when you are all grown up, and can afford it, then you can have your own space.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:01 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• i think there entitled to there own rooms. there own personal space
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 11:57 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I think we all need to do the best we can for our children. Obviously, if you can't afford a large home, then kid's will have to make do with sharing. Its a part of life...sometimes we have to live with a little less and make do. I think its a little silly to have unused rooms and still make three sisters share one for example...but lots of kids, when asked, would prefer to share a room so if that is the preference, go for it!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 12:02 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I think every child should have their own room. We never did growing up... There was no privacy, no separation of things... I couldn't even put things in my own room without fear that they would be used or taken by my sister...

But that's not always something parents are able to do, especially early on... But by the time kids are starting puberty, I think it's a must!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:05 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Both, boys and girls should get separate rooms but if there's not enough rooms and there's say 2 girls 1 boy, the boy gets his own room and the girls share.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:58 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Ithink kids can learn alot by sharing with a sibling. They would get alot of fun that comes with sharing and giggling at night and alot of bad like fighting and using eachothers stuff. I think it is a good experience and it certainly cant hurt to make them share..I do think girls should be in one room and boys in another.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:01 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• It's a privilege. If people can afford to give each child their own room, great. But a lot of people cannot afford that. My dad grew up with five other siblings. The three boys shared a room and the three girls shared a room. My mom shared a room with her sisters. I shared a room with my sister for years. It seems to me that the idea that kids should all have their own rooms is a pretty recent concept. My youngest two kids share a room, but we are fortunate enough to have enough room for the older two to have their own rooms.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:02 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• No, kids are not "entitled" to their own room. IF there is room available and they get their own room, that should be because they have shown they deserve, of have earned, the right to have an individual bedroom. We only have 3 bedrooms - one for us, one for our boys, and one for our daughter. We're hoping for another girl so then there are 2 kids in each bedroom. Another house isn't in the plans so even when our kids are older (they're only 10, 8 and 3 now), they will still have to share a room. Oh well!
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 12:03 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I like the idea of personal space and I HATED growing up sharing a room with my horrible sister... when we were teens that is how my mom punished us - she made us share a room again... I think its both / a right and a privilage.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:02 PM on Jul. 23, 2010