• In the Spotlight:

Is diarrhea really a sign of labor coming?

I have seen a lot of women ask this, that is labor is near because they have diarrhea lol.

cynprz

Asked by cynprz at 11:58 AM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Chances are your body will "clear itself out" for labor in the way of diarrhea, vomiting, or just lots of pooing. lol But I can tell you I'm only 21w6d and have had diarrhea on and off a lot through this pregnancy, but I also have mild to moderate IBS which is an entirely different ordeal.

Anyway I do remember that about a week before going into premature labor with my ds I did start going to the bathroom a lot more than usual followed by a bit of diarrhea the last couple of days before labor actually kicked in. I think it's just one of those things that happens to some, but not others although it is pretty common. I hope that makes sense. lol
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 2:44 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• It can be.

It is a bit like the chicken/egg conundrum though. It's not really known if it's the labor starting that causes the diarrhea or if the diarrhea starts the labor.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:59 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I had diarrhea with both of my pregnancies in the third trimester for about a week but it wasn't right before labor. It was about a month before for me.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 12:00 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• it can be.
    i only had direah right before i had my second. this last baby i had direah for like a month straight and then right b4 i had baby iwas backed up!
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 12:08 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I had it while in labor. I was induced so I don't know if that made a difference
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 1:09 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I can't remember if I had diarrhea when I was pregnant with my first, but I was induced a week after my due date. I think we just get nervous with the oncoming pregnancy and that's what gives a lot of ladies diarrhea lol.

cynprz

Comment by cynprz (original poster) at 12:04 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• LOL. I don't know what's worse have diarrhea or being constipated!
    cynprz

Comment by cynprz (original poster) at 12:14 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Yes it makes sense I was just wondering lol. I really can't remember with my first, but this time around I have been ok lol we will see though I still have 13 weeks left.
    cynprz

Comment by cynprz (original poster) at 3:01 PM on Jul. 23, 2010