When you come up with names to name your baby what do you look for?

As in do you think oh I can't name my baby that it's already used in my family,
Or no one will be able to pronounce it
Too popular
Not popular enough
For it too be unique

cynprz

Asked by cynprz at 11:59 AM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Baby Names

• I'm not a fan of the super popular names. I like classic yet unique names, names that you could put the title "Dr." in front of, or that you'd see on a name plate on a corner office, one that would be impressive on a resume, let's face it, if I'm an employer I doubt I'd be giving Neveah Destiny a chance..... I also hate when people match their kid's names with eachother...like it matters in my life right now if my name goes well with my brother's. Please. You are naming a child for their entire life, not for them to be cute accessories to your family. I like names that are spelled correctly. To me, odd spellings scream that the the parents are uneducated. I also like to honor family members with middle names. Both my kids middles are after our parents.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:27 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Not popular enough and that i like it and it goes good with the middle name and our last name.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:07 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• ALL of that. No immediate exact same names of family, not too popular, not so crazy everyone goes Huh?, and it has to flow well. And it also has to be unique.

When I named my son, Braden was not popular...in 1996. LOL He is Braden Alexander Ledbetter. Flows, different, not a family name and is unique.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:11 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Well, everyone in my family is named after someone. I already have DD1s middle name picked out LONG before we ever got pregnant. So, then DH just found a traditional, not so common, first name that went with her middle and last names. With DD2, DH picked her first name (named for his great grandmother) and I found a middle name that I liked and went well with the other two names. Both times, it was a lot of trying names out. Saying the entire thing out loud to see how it flowed. I like the traditional names...as long as they aren't super popular. I don't want my kids to have 5 other kids in their grade with the same name, KWIM?

KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 12:11 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I wanted it to be more unique... Something I hadn't heard. We have a really popular last name though so I wanted to offset "Brown". I didn't want to hyphen it because they will have to spell it the rest of their life, nothing embarrassing. Dh like neveah, I wanted something with a "k"... Didn't even look in baby books and we settled on "Kyla" when I was 13 wks! I think it all varies on your preferences, but think of the baby and know they will have to live with that name.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:13 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I wanted "normal" sounding names that weren't too trendy. I didn't rule out all popular names, just the ones that seemed trendy. I wanted names that sounded like they belonged with the other members in the family, but not so similar as to be confusing. We used middle names to honor special people.

I named my kids Keely Vale, Leah Lynn, and Daniel Roger.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:15 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Not too common, has to have a good meaning, I look up personality traits for that name, has to have a nice flow (we were thinking McKenna for my son then I thought about my husbands last name...first and last name would be mck)
    rocker_mommy_08

Answer by rocker_mommy_08 at 12:16 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I like them to be not too common, although, its seems when I named my son Bryce, I didn't know hardly anyone named that... plus, it was my great grandfathers name. I have Bryce Edward, Bryce for my great grampa, Edward for my hubs dad. Samuel Cole, but we call him Cole, Samuel is for my husbands great grandfather... and Rayne Wesley.. we just loved the name Rayne, it means wise lord, and Wesley is my husbands grandpa and uncle on his mom's side.
    jleighbum

Answer by jleighbum at 1:00 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I like popular names spelled correctly because my name is Nichole and with that stupid H in my name I can never get anything with my name on it.. so i will name all my kids with the names spelled correctly my DD's name is Olivia and my mother wanted me to spell it with an A I said no for that reason! Now she has tons of things that I didn't have to special order with her name on it :)
    NicholeWalls

Answer by NicholeWalls at 1:01 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• When naming my girls i wanted something that was used but not over used and that they wouldnt be made of at some point in their life. I wanted to be somewhat different but i always changed the spelling just a little.

Best of luck
    WAH_Mama

Answer by WAH_Mama at 2:12 PM on Jul. 23, 2010