Would you spank or use a time out? If you have older children what has worked?

time-outs or spanking?

Claudiomom

Asked by Claudiomom at 12:00 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• My kids are 5 & 3 & I have never spanked them--only time out--which is rare.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:01 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• My daughter is definitely going through terrible 2's it's the worst! and she has gotten spanked.. I try and use time out but she will just look at me and laugh and get up.. so sometimes she gets a slap on the rear if necessary.. I try not to though I DO NOT want to encourage hitting but sometimes it's a last resort when she is have a tantrum and throwing things across the room :P hopefully this stage is over soon!
    NicholeWalls

Answer by NicholeWalls at 12:05 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• My kids are grown and I do not believe in spanking so this was never used and time out didn't either, I took away things they like, and privileges, did a lot of good praising and disappointment speeches when they were bad. Children by nature want to please their parents, the more you praise the more they will behave to get that praise, hey it worked for me! My adults are role model citizens, full of all the right qualities.

Answer by older at 12:05 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I use time out.. I spanked my son one time and he laughed at me and then the next day he started hitting too - So I regret that..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:05 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I don't hit either. you get them electronics and then take it away if they don't do the rules~cruel I know but it is too effective to deny. now if spanking worked, i might entertain the idea more seriously.
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 12:06 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• depending on age really..... we use time outs with the older kids 7 to 13 and sometimes that dont work so thenn we do exercises which they hate....pushups ....crunches........ young ones maybe a little swat on the bottem if they are being bad...... which im lucky to say we have never used...... or put them in there room and let them stay in there.... and not play with others... but to be alone ...and think about it...
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 12:09 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• spanking works for my 2 & 3yr old. although i do time outs sometimes, they never work, and they end up with a pop on the butt anyway. my son can have a zillion time outs a day and turn around and do what he was just in time out for. spankings though, they work like a charm. as for my dd, i put her in time out once, now she does it just for fun. she'll do something she knows she's not supposed to do while looking at me, when i tell her NO, she gives me this big ol' grin and goes to put her nose on the wall, all the while laughing. i do warnings before i pop their butts though, i don't just pop them every single time they do something bad.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:13 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Depends on the kid,

Spanking doesn't work on my son...Talking priveldges does..and time outs

My daughter..guilt! lol   and punishments

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:14 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Really depended on age for us, we didn't spank very often when they were little but occassionally - we used time outs.
    As they got older about 7 - 14 time outs became standing in a corner with your arms up, push ups, sit ups...whatever I felt like that day. I figured it was better than just sitting there in the corner, and they did it and it was healthy for them even though they really didn't enjoy it.
    I've found now for both my 12 and 15 year old simply talking makes a lot more sense and works wonders.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:34 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• We have done both, and both worked. Sometimes it depends on the child and sometimes it depends on what they have done.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 3:30 PM on Jul. 23, 2010