We just found out were expecting how do I or when should I tell my 4 year old?

Halogurl29

Asked by Halogurl29 at 12:23 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If you have sever morning sickness or have to spend a lot of time at the doctor's office i would advise telling your 4 year old ASAP so he/she doesn't get worried about your health. If you're feeling good then you can wait until you are ready to tell others - just be sure your 4 year old is the first to know the good news. Congratulations!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:26 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I'd wait a while. They really don't have a good sense of "time" at that age and 7 or 8 months is a long time for a kid! Not only that, but I wouldn't tell your 4 year old before the rest of the family because he/she may spill the beans before you are ready :) Of course on the flip side, you don't want people to to ask how they are going to like being a big brother/sister if he/she doesn't know! Also, I hate to even bring this up because it is such a great time for you, but if something happened to the baby would you be prepared to explain THAT to a 4 year old as well? (speaking from personal experience)
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 12:30 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• First off, congrats! We always told the other kids after the first tri. Our reasons: kids that age don't have a good sense of time, so eight months is a long time to wait! Second, we didn't tell other people we were pg until after the first tri so I didn't want my kids spilling the beans. Third, just in case we had a loss I didn't want to have to explain that to the kids, and although it can still happen later the odds drop after 12 weeks. And lastly, because by then I had a nice u/s pic to show as a prop, which made it more concrete to them. Actually, when I was pg with my third and told my oldest (who was then four as well) he looked at my printout of three u/s pics and said "You mean we are having THREE babies? Oh no!" LOL! Once I explained that it was three pics of the same baby he felt much better!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:34 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I agree that you should wait till after the first trimester. I remember reading a lot of big brother/big sister books to my son, taking him to see an ultrasound (not many choices seeing as I had no babysitter) recording the heartbeat (he still loves to hear it), and telling him about his baby brother in mama's tummy (he was going on two at the time) and he had to be gentle with mama. . .
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:44 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• The sooner the better. Then she or he will want to be a part of it.
    Dezignz_by_CM

Answer by Dezignz_by_CM at 12:26 AM on Jul. 24, 2010