How do you keep things organized and manage to get your children fed and on to school on time?

I have 2 in school this year for the first time... I am trying to get some new techniques, to make sure they are fed, dressed, packed with snacks, homework, lunch, etc, baths... and still get them to school on time.. What do you do?

jleighbum

Asked by jleighbum at 12:24 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in

• It's all about a routine, and staying a step ahead of the game. Do as much as you can the night before. Get the kids clothes ready the night before gather the backpacks. Anything you can do the night before will put you ahead of the game.
    Polishedwoman

Answer by Polishedwoman at 12:32 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• We make lunches the night before and have the kids help. They can get out snacks, water bottles or what have you.

We come home for the afternoon and have a snack. Then it's homework, piano lessons or practice, showers while DH and I are making dinner (except for the 5 yr who, due to medical issues, needs to be supervised around water.) After dinner we all help make lunches and pack up for the next day. All homework is put away after it is finished.

In the morning they get up (6:30) and get dressed and then eat. Then brush teeth and into the car by 7:30. Big kids need to be in their first class by 7:50, the little one will go to before school program until 8:05, class is at 8:15.

Some days it is confused and rushed. Most days it just falls into place until someone forgets something for class or I forget the little one's meds. Then I have to run back home and back to the school.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:32 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• As you know, routine is super important. Preparation is essential. Outfits and lunches are done the evening before. Homework is never done in the morning; that has to be completed and checked by a parent before dinner. You should also check for tomorrow's weather so the outfits are appropriate. Young children benefit from visual reminders. Consider making a poster together with their routine on it (e.g., wake up at 6 a.m., eat breakfast, brush teeth, bathe, dress, make sure to grab backpack and lunch, etc.).
    SMH2010

Answer by SMH2010 at 12:37 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• There are a lot of things you can do the night before to make the morning run more smoothly. Clothes can be picked out before bedtime. Snacks and lunches can be packed. Breakfast can be planned, and even some prep work can be done; even if you're just serving cereal you can put the cereal and bowls on the counter, or you can even fill the bowls with cereal and put them in the fridge next to the milk.

I also highly recommend coming up with a designated spot for backpacks and other items that go to school each day. Also make a habit of checking backpacks or folders for notes and/or homework. If the kids teachers don't require homework folders consider getting them some anyway; you can put "bring home" on one side and "take to school" on the other side. For younger kids you can use pictures of home and school.

Be consistent with where things go and stick to the same basic routine every day.

continued
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:37 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I agree with getting as much done the night before as possible. With my daughter, we even lay out with barrettes, headband, etc. she is going to wear. My kids also help with their lunches - when they were in early elementary I would make their sandwich and they would put in everything else (unless they wanted some type of fruit cut). We keep breakfast simple on school mornings - usually a bowl of cereal that they can pour themselves, or some cinnamon toast.
    My middle schooler catches the bus at 7:35, my elementary kids catch their bus at 8:00 both right outside our front door.

Answer by missanc at 12:38 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• my suggestion would be what the others posted and get as much done the night before. the best thing I ever did was get up at least an hour before the kids had to, to get the things done I couldnt get done the night before.
    karglynn

Answer by karglynn at 12:38 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• It's a good idea to start making the kids responsible for some things as soon as you can so they learn to be responsible and all the work doesn't fall on you. You can make checklists for them to do certain things in a certain order every morning, and you can give rewards each day or at the end of a successful week.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:39 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• laundry management! my kids get baths in the am, teeth and hair (for dd this takes a good 15 mins~i know this and really give it time).
    I do chocolate protein shakes for me and DD for breakfast~suck them down!

Lunches~as many high calcium foods as possible, as organic as possible and reusuable containers are my goals. My DD (12 and 125lbs, low body mass index with a size 81/2 foot) likes a frozen amy's burrito from costco warmed up, ww bagel/cream cheese, vanilla yogurt, almonds, odwalla super C orangejuice (I use these Ball 8 oz containers with screw on tops~plastic in the canning area). She will eat cool steamed veggies and ranchy or humus dip, nuts, bean tortilla chips....but she will not do the sandwich of any kinds~

getting to school~it is all about being early to avoid the late bunch (and not being the late ones and stressed). I have 3 kids in 3 different schools~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 12:50 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Get as much down the night before as you can. Have backpacks packed with everything they will need, have clothes picked out, if you can make lunch the night before do it.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 2:34 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Both kids willhave bath/showers in the morning, we get up at 6-6:30 first they eat, then I have a shower, then they do, then I help get them dressed, then I make lunches(most made the night before, except any sandwich type things) then I get myself completly ready and we go :) It is pretty smooth
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 3:52 PM on Jul. 23, 2010