If your VERY malnourished and constantly sick, can you still breastfeed!??

I am barely able to gain weight, always have been like this! With my first I gained 20 lbs then was down to 115 within a week of her being born and an emergency c! I formula fed her because I was taking the pain meds and her daddy was deploying so I wanted him to have his possible last moments with her. Now we want our last.... I'm TRYING so hard to gain so I can get pregnant! Drs are working on getting me a green card right now for medical marijuana to help with the weight gain and build my appetite. I have 15 lbs to go but what if I can't keep the weight on after our last is born? I'm so malnourished I get bloated from eating, you can see my ribs through by boobs even!!! Would I still be able to breastfeed??? Would it still be beneficial??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Health

• U wouldnt want the baby taking more from u if u dont have it 2 give...but i would talk 2 ur dr...I have the medical marijuana card 2:) But I broke my neck an back
    Halogurl29

Answer by Halogurl29 at 12:41 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• idk. i know after i had my second baby i developed hachimoto's syndrom which is a form of hypothyroidism and couldnt eat or keep anything down ,i had to stop breastfeeding cause i could produce enough milk. you might just want to formula feed but talk to your dr. and eat a donut
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 12:41 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Why can't you eat? i think you should focus on your OWN health before you think of bringing another baby into the world.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:42 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Generally yes, your body will borrow from itself to feed the baby. I would just make sure to take calcium supplements and vitamins because your body has to get what goes into the breastmilk from somewhere and if it's not getting it from your food intake, it's getting it from you. Look at it this way: people breastfeed in third world countries where they are literally starving to death: it's still beneficial for hte baby. If it makes you feel any better, I'm also tiny... especially after my second baby when I was under one hundred pounds (I'm also very short so it's not as small as it sounds, but I was a size 00 and you could definitely see my ribs) and I ebf'd that baby with no problem and even ended up getting pg again by surprise at that weight.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:42 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Eat a lot of healthy fats: avocado, flax oil and ground flax seeds, coconut oil (great in smoothies)

Answer by rkoloms at 12:44 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• No, because your breastmilk takes in the nutricians that you take in. Which means if you're malnourished then your body doesn't have what it needs for the breastmilk. You wouldn't be able to breastfeed and give the baby everything that it needs. Now, have you ever figured out why your body doesn't gain/lose weight like it should? Are you anemic, bulemic, anerexic, or have some sort of other disorder? You can see about getting on something to allow you to maintain a healthy weight.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:45 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• WHY are you malnourished?
    If it's due to you not feeling like eating properly- then no, don't breastfeed.
    If it's due to a medical condition- can you deal with that BEFORE a pregnancy?
    If there is no dealing with it AND it is a medical condition then... who knows. Most women, your body will take what it needs for the baby before giving you anything. But sometimes, in severe cases, the milk will stop when you get too ill or malnourished to continue.
    emhain

Answer by emhain at 12:52 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I have severe depression, an anxiety disorder, very high metabolism, and now they're looking into anorexia but I don't think I'm fat! I'm too skinny, I just can't gain! The theory is when I get depressed or anxious I become anorexic.... But I've been 100 -106lbs for 2 years now, I'm 5'6" and the only way I got pregnant last time I finally made it to 123 lbs which is 13 lbs from where I am now! I've talked to nutritionists, had bloodwork done... I seriously eat 6-8 times a day, snack sized portions suggested by my nutritionist which somehow are too big for my stomach! My last pregnancy, dd ate me because of this whatever it is! You could see every bone in my body because of how much I lacked for her!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:02 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• My advice to you- with all my ZERO years of medical training :)- would be to set a goal. For one whole month you are going to focus completely on yourself. Eat healthy fats like the ones suggested above. Rest. Keep yourself as calm as possible. When you hit 125, start trying. And once you conceive then start focusing on you again- this time for nine months. Do whatever it takes to stay healthy for that baby. Towards the end of your pregnancy, start talking to your doc and your nutritionist about what they think is best. Breastfeeding is usually best but if it's going to drain you so badly that you can't function well enough to take care of the baby you work so hard to feed, then what's the point? i think waiting to see how you are THEN is your best plan.
    emhain

Answer by emhain at 1:27 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• You need to take care of yourself so this baby has a mother. I have a close family that had a diffcult time eating and was also anemic and undernurished. They take Juice Plus and it's been a blessing. I have everyone in my family one it now. Look at the website and see if it's something you might want to try. It certainly can't hurt. www.welovejuiceplus.com
    (all it is - fruits and veggies in a capsule - it's really great stuff)
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 6:02 PM on Jul. 23, 2010