How do I discipline my 8 year old twins differently from my 11 year old?

IF they are all being punished for the same thing? should they have different minutes of time outs according to their age? they are all boys and it gets chaotic. thanks

ohio24fan

Asked by ohio24fan at 12:34 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• An 11 yr old has more privileges than an 8 year old. So take more priveleges away from the 11 year old. Not only take more away, but make it harder and take longer to get them back. Like no cellphone for this long and then not until you x,y and z. No computer for this long and then not until you x,y, and z, no friends over and you can't go there for this long until you x,y, and z. Not television, you have to be home every evening for dinner, you have to keep your room cleaned, you have to read to your siblings, you have to help make meals, do laundry, take out the trash, detail the vehicles, vacuum each room, mow the lawn, all of the extras. I'm not saying do all of the above, but they are options plus more you can think of. Not only is important to remove some of the important things to make them understand how important it is to you, but make them do extra things to get those privileges back. It will make them think.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 12:54 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I'd do it the same. By those ages the time amounts don't matter that much. I'd probably say 20-30 min.

Answer by Bmat at 12:44 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I would keep it the same for them all.It would confuse them if you didn't.But sometimes taking away their very favorite activity or very favorite thing works better than anything.LIke no tv, video games,...ect
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 12:50 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I'd give them all the same consequence.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:52 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• We always do timeouts equal to age. 8y/o= 8 minutes of QUIET sitting, 11y/o=11minutes of QUIET sitting. Talking, giggling, etc. time does not start until sitting quiet and restarts if they get up or start making noises.
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 2:27 PM on Jul. 23, 2010