If a house has been sitting there without being rented or sold, does it mean there is something wrong with it?

We found a house in Virginia that we really like. I can't drive due to a medical condition, and everything I would need [hospital, grocery store, shopping center, library, parks] is in walking distance. So its perfect. But then we noticed that it has been sitting on the market for a few months and the price had to be dropped. We're in California, so we can't go by to look at it.

So would you think that there is something wrong with the house, or that its just a typical situation that the landowner hasn't found renters yet?

art.diva

Asked by art.diva at 12:36 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Might not be rented just b/c they don't want to deal with renters b/c they want it sold. The house behind us was empty for a year and the new owners had to do a lot to be able to live in it.....it is landlocked. I would get your own real estate agent to look into it for you, call the electric company, water, phone, cable and check the status of the property tax on the house......if the owners owe anything to any off them you may be responsible to pay for what they didn't. Check with the township code enforcer to see if they know if the house is up to code. Get your own inspector to inspect the house. If it says as is that may mean something is wrong. You also want to see if the house has ever been flooded.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 1:04 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• absolutely not...
    I would check it out and see what things will need fixing/changing.
    C_Kight

Answer by C_Kight at 12:37 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• maybe the price isn't right for others. it could be a little to high for what the people in the area are looking for. it doesnt mean that anything is wrong though.
    MeekMeek

Answer by MeekMeek at 12:38 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I wouldn't jump to the conclusion there is something wrong. Houses just aren't selling as quickly in this market and sometimes you just need the right buyer.

Answer by missanc at 12:38 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I know of one that's has been empty for years. The owner wants WAYYY too much for it .I mean like double what it is worth. The house is beautiful though. This is the only reason I can think of.
    mommypip

Answer by mommypip at 12:39 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Have it inspected or ask that it be. But usually it means the price is more than the market is willing to pay.

Answer by Bmat at 12:39 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• There COULD be something wrong with it, most likely a foundation or roof issue, so make sure to check those... But it could simply mean they want to much money for it OR any number of other reasons...

it's ALWAYS worth checking out, you never know what is out there.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:39 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Call the Realtor who has the listing of the house. See if there are any walk through videos. If not ask if they could do one for you. Also, if you are really serious about the house, I would call an appraiser and have him take a look at the house. You looking at spending $300-$500 for it but if you are going to buy it anyways, then it has to be done. He will be able to tell you if there is any serious work that needs to be done before the house can be sold and if there are any minor problems that you may have to deal with. Good Luck!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:43 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• The market isn't exactly thriving right now for real estate. Which means that a lot of very nice houses sit on the market for months, even a year before they're bought by someone. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them at all. It's always worth checking out and yes, check it out before you buy it. I hope it works out for you!
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:43 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• It could just be the price is too high. We had a house on the end of our street and other than some minor physicalities needing to be changed (it had like a purple shaggy carpet and not so fresh looking paint). They were asking $240k for it. No one wanted to buy it knowing the carpet had to be changed and walls painted. Finally, a year later, the bank sold it to an investor for $187k. Always get an inspection done before buying. Hire one to look at it for you. It may just be minor things, price too high, or it could be something major.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 12:44 PM on Jul. 23, 2010