spanking...

so at the park today my lovely 20 month old dd took off running.. would NOT stop no matter how hard i tried and told her to stop... so when i FINALLY got her i tapped her butt picked her up and said we DO NOT run off we stop when mommy says to stop and proceeded to leave the park then, well any who... a lady gave me a dirty look and said i was wrong... now who would have tapped the butt for this ..who wouldn't if not what would you have done to let a very strong willed/stubborn child know...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• In my opinion, I think there is a time and place for a tap on the bumper. This was it. It really put her safety in danger. It is when people get frustrated and use it for punishment in general I think its completely wrong. It only shows the child you are bigger and are allowed to hit them. When their life is in danger or their safety is in jeopardy, a few taps on the bumper is appropriate.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 12:45 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I think I would have done a bit more than "tapped" her butt for that... My rule is if my kids actions could cause major harm to them or someone else it's an automatic spanking... I want them to understand that these actions come with pain - of course I don't beat them, but a firm smack on the but is better than being hit by a car!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:44 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• honestly..i would've spanked..they need to learn it's dangerous, and if your little one is hard headed, like my dd, then talking doesn't work.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 12:44 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Doesn't matter who would have or wouldn't have...that woman had no business saying anything to you.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 12:43 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• rkoloms- it isn't hitting or abusing her child, tapping her on the butt come on now
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 12:46 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Spanking is very different than beating.I have spanked in those instances.And sometimes infront of others.At least you did something, rather than sit back and just say "I told you not to do that"
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 12:47 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I spanked my son for the same thing when he was little. It was not about being mean, it was about doing what I had to in order to keep him safe.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 12:48 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I made a little rule that if he is doing something that will hurt him more than me spanking him i spank him...for example if he runs away from me when I say stop he could run out in front of the car and get hit and be seriously injured so I spank him for that. I also have spanked him for trying to stick things in outlets but I always tell him no first. I don't spank him for things like getting stuff off the book shelf that hes not supposed to have in that case I just tell him no and put it back and he usually throws a fit (it sometimes makes me grind my teeth because the fit throwing drives me nuts). It was none of the woman's business at the park as long as you were not beating you daughter (which I'm sure you weren't), children need to learn to mind so they won't get hurt!
    shortleo

Answer by shortleo at 12:49 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• eh - 20 months and ruinning away is just the way it goes.. you need to just chase her and tell her its not ok - I guess I wouldn't have swatted the tushy for that but that's just me
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:50 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• my two year old is like that. she is very very stuborn like her daddy. the only way to get her to listin is to spank her. i get bad looks all the time for it. but then again i also get bad looks for being 18 and engaged with two kids (one is two and the other is 7months)
    xkrystals.momx

Answer by xkrystals.momx at 12:51 PM on Jul. 23, 2010