I am missing farm life since we moved into the city. Can anyone share your best story of farm life?

It can be informative, funny, or nostalgic. Whatever you would like to share. I love the smell of the garden, the sound of the trees rustling in the wind, and the sound of the creek the ran next to our house. My children learned a lot by caring for the animals we had there. They especially liked giving bottles to the calves and playing with the rabbits. My favorite place was the swing on my front porch in the afternoon. How about you? Do you have farm/country memories to share?

minasmama6

Asked by minasmama6 at 12:42 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• We've lived on hobby farms since 1981. You know what I love most of all? Is the mother hens and their chicks!! They never fail to amaze me! I love seeing mother hens and their chicks! When I was young. We had this hen named Sharon. She was such a devoted mother hen. I was a little naughty. She would run, chase, and try to hurt you for touching her chicks. long after she didn't care. Once any mother stops caring about her off spring.. But not ol' Sharon she'd run and get after you if she cared anymore or not! I'm talking DH into letting the hens have chicks next year! He didn't b/c we have to many predators here to get the chicks. Hopefully after my cancer & wellness he gets a job. Etc.. He can do all he can to make the chicks safe.. I never tire of the love bond of a mother and its babies. No matter what they are. But his pigeons are happily mating and having many babies. The best year ever..
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 1:02 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• My grandparents had a farm.I was a city girl.When I was little,I got caught in the barbed wire fence.They got me out by cutting my shirt off.then held me down and put macuricain on my back.It was very memorable.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 12:44 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• My grandmother owned a 200+ acre farm. I learned to drive in the cow pasture when I was 15. My dad had his old Isuzu pick up truck that was a stick shift. My cousins and I would pile into the truck and take turns. We would hit a few ditches and some cow patties too! = ) Once we were going really fast and didn't see a cow, we narrowly missed it but when we turned around to see, we were being charged by the cows! I miss those times.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:47 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Holding the baby pigs at my G'pas farm : ) but I don't miss the smell lol. I get the best of both worlds I live in the country and work in the city.
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 12:49 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• We had a "fake farm"... We lived in farm country and had about 12 acres but my family was lawyers. Our 11 sheep were more like pets who all had names and were special needs (preemies, orphans and the elderly). We didn't make a living from our farm (which is why I say it was a fake farm). We did get along very well with the neighbors (who were real farm people). They'd laugh at us but we lived by farm codes and they figured that out real quick and accepted us. We had one neighbor who was also "fake farming". He was an a** though and none of the neighbors really liked him. He used to hire me to feed everything when they'd go away. They had 2 deer (pennsylvania white tails, which in pennsylvania is ridiculous because there are more PA white tails then people so having 2 as 'pets'...), but they had about 35 sheep, 7 horses, a flock of geese and 2 bison... lemme tell you that feeding the bison was NOT FUN! (cont.)
    terpmama

Answer by terpmama at 1:02 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• (cont.) They weren't tamed at all. You had to feed the male first. He would charge the electric fence if you were too slow. You had to trick him too. So you would have to jig left then dump 2 feet to the right. Once he was eating you could just dump the female's food over. But I really don't think the guy understood where babies come from. He married his first wife (his secretary who got pregnant). Left her for the second wife (his secretary who got pregnant). 6 wives later (I'm not kidding)... So one spring they had 3 deer, 42 sheep, 9 horses, a flock and half of geese and 3 bison. HE WAS SURPRISED!! Seriously?!?
    But I remember we used to loan out our lower few acres to the neighbor right across the river. He would grow alfalfa for his cows. My dad never charged him for the use of the land but they would trade. Land use in return for answers to common questions my dad had (how to lay in fence type of stuff). I miss it!
    terpmama

Answer by terpmama at 1:07 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I can only tell you about Farmville!
    These stories are lovely. You guys are lucky to have these experiences. I'm a city girl
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:25 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Don't have stories, but I will give you my last bump!

Answer by older at 3:42 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Thanks for sharing!
    minasmama6

Comment by minasmama6 (original poster) at 4:29 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I miss being on the farm. I was a farmers daughter. I loved helping him plow and harvest.He would let me steer the tractor when I was 5.I loved being able to ride horses everyday and all day long.Sadly I lost my dad when I was 11 years old.Someday I plan on having a farm again. But for now my "farm" is Farmville and my garden in the backyard.
    skinsfan26

Answer by skinsfan26 at 11:16 PM on Jul. 24, 2010