how to stop

your small child(2yrs) from hitting you when upset, hitting,pinching, screaming whole nine yards

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just stay consistent with them. Everytime they do it, just tell them quietly to stop and use their quiet words. Don't yell. Just talk softly, the kid will have to stop screaming to hear you. :-)
    When they hit or pinch, just pull their hand away and say softly, but firmly "we don't do that, we use our quiet words". Eventually she/he will stop. Just stay consistent.
    Good luck!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:01 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• My son went through this around his second birthday, just take his hand and remind him hitting it not ok - if he chooses to hit the wall or floor then I see that as better but still remind him that hitting hurts when he brings me his hand and tells me he got an ouie. Consistancy is key. It took about 3 months for him to stop. Its just a new way to express anger or frustration
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:00 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I wouldnt spank cuz ur trying 2 teach not 2 hit but time outs then when thats done have them tell u y u put them in tme out....if they cant tell u tell them...remember everytime they r done with time out an u or they explain y they where placed there u hug them an say I luv u
    Halogurl29

Answer by Halogurl29 at 1:02 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Hitting back would encourage more hitting.Maybe if you acted like they really hurt you.Fake crying from you.Maybe that would work.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 1:00 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• stop them. when I see a parent getting hit, I want them to catch that hand before it makes contact~be faster than them..sometimes you can see them thinking about a strike~put the kid down. If they come at you, put your hand out and flat handed back them up. If they kick, use you foot to gently and firmly hold their foot on the ground.

They have to stop. If they can't stop themselves, I will do it for them. Talk is way too cheap~it is all about physically stopping them from contacting you.

I have 3 rules in the kids world they don't get to break (all the rest is flexible)~can't hurt yourself, can't hurt others, can't hurt the environment (stuff and creatures).
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 1:09 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I Grabed my son's hands firmly, but not to hurt him, looked him in the eye and told him "No, you do not hit." After a few times of me saying it in a very direct manner her stopped hitting. Now he turns around and finds a table or something to hit when he needs to. He directed his anger to something else all on his own, which is cool.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:25 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• punish them like you would for anything else. let them know it's not ok
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:01 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• when my daughter does it i spank her. she turned two in june. she also gets time out and sent to bed when needed.
    xkrystals.momx

Answer by xkrystals.momx at 1:08 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• if it was mean.. spank them and put them in time out. i have a 20 month old that sometimes hits. he gets swats on the butt and placed into time outs for 1 minute.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 1:00 PM on Jul. 23, 2010