What would you consider if you or your DH was offered a different job?? What would be the most important points for you?

My DH was is being considered for another job in another city... It pays about the same, but it pays incenitives that can equal up to 40K plus salary... what would be the most important things that you would take in consideration.

jleighbum

Asked by jleighbum at 1:07 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• if i wanted to live in that city. if i wanted my kids to go to school there.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:10 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• would it require a move? Is a move something we could afford?
    If it was a commuting situation, would the gas and car wear and tear cost more than the extra $?

that's what I would consider
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:10 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• K, yes, it would require a move.. but, my DH and I have decided it would be best for us to stay here until my 4 year old is done with preK, since it would be hard to get him into another school this late. He would have to drive 1 hour to work... 1 hour back. But, he gets a company card provided, and all gas paid for... plus, he would get a 3,000 dollar sign on bonus, to help us with getting our house now in order and ready to sell, and anything else we need.
    jleighbum

Comment by jleighbum (original poster) at 1:14 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I would have to know if I could live in that other city, as comfortably or better. You need to weigh the cost of living and expensives in that city vs. the one you're in. Monster.com has a city comparison that lists statistics of all kinds from taxes to weather. Also, where is it? If it were the South, I'd never go. I'm not into the bugs and weather. But some people love it. What are schools like? That sort of thing.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:21 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• The new city was a good city with good schools.
    The pay was better then what he is getting now.
    The distance between work and home wasn't too great.
    And it wasn't too far away from family.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:21 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• For us, as long as the pay was equal or above, the move would be a consideration. Our other concern would be health insurance. We have a child who needs daily meds an emergency med (which was $500 after the insurance paid its part) and testing every 1-2 years, plus I need my asthma meds covered.

DH is being encouraged to take a job with the company where his bff works. Right now we can't do it because the health coverage sucks.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:23 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Benefits, such as health insurance and vacation time, and the location. When my husband graduated college he was offered two different jobs. One offered about $1800 more than the other but we chose the other because the higher offer was in southern California. There is no way we could have bought a decent house without me going to work, too. And we had already planned that I was going to be a SAHM.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:26 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• The pay would have to be equal to or more than what we're making now, taking into account cost of living differences (for instance, if it's cheaper to live somewhere else, we could live on less, but if it's more expensive to live somewhere else, we'd have to get a significant raise to make up for it). For us, moving costs would have to be paid for by the company because we can't afford to do it ourselves. It would have to be somewhere we're comfortable living long-term, as we wouldn't plan on moving frequently, of course; that would include a good neighborhood, good school system, things to do as a family, etc. Benefits would be very important, as far as good health/dental/vision insurance, 401K, etc. We would prefer something not too far away from family, but a weekend visit every few months would be plenty for us, so that would be adjustable for your preference.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:27 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Sometimes an hour each way isn't too bad.....see how it goes. A friend of ours goes to the city he works in on Monday mornings and drives home on Friday night. Maybe something like that is possible? Just ideas.............good luck
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:40 PM on Jul. 23, 2010