Life Support adult content

I have read the post about the woman who's Grandpa was pulled from life support and is still alive quite a bit later. To me it sounds like the person who is pulled is not ready to die. They are obviously fighting it! Does this bother other people when they read things like this? Just because the doctors tell horrible facts, doesn't mean a person is necessarily ready to go. Give them a chance!..

wenona_mandy

Asked by wenona_mandy at 1:09 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Health

• I think you're addressing a really touchy subject. It would be an incredibly hard decision to choose whether or not to keep someone on life support, and I think the decision should be completely up to those closest to the person.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:11 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Yes, but what about when the person doesn't pass and just keeps trying?
    wenona_mandy

Comment by wenona_mandy (original poster) at 1:12 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• That's rare. If they can survive without life support then it's not an issue to begin with.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:13 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Which question were you referring to? I can't find it, but I'd like to read it.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:14 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I believe that if the life support is pulled and they fight and live, they were meant to live, if they pass then they were not. I see no reason to only keep them alive via a machine. They have no quality of life that way, who are they being kept alive for?
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:15 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• http://www.cafemom.com/group/416/forums/read/11874138/We_are_taking_him_off_life_support_in_the_morning_2_Updates?ct=acm_charms

This one. I understand them wanting to do what they think is best, but the Grandpa just doesn't seem ready.
    wenona_mandy

Comment by wenona_mandy (original poster) at 1:15 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I do NOT support the use of Lifesupport! If they are fighting and alive, then they don't need the life support. LS is only used to keep people alive, I would say if they are taken off and still able to live then they didn't need it in the first place... If they can't survive without it then they aren't living any kind of life anyways... Quality trumps Quantity!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:19 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Life support is a tricky thing. And taking someone off of it is even harder. The doctors can quote statistics and facts up the butt and still not be correct about the outcome. What you or your loved ones would do is highly personal.

My grandmother was on a respirator after a heart attack. It was touch and go for a while, but after 24 hrs she was weaned from it and had a pretty good quality of life for the next 18 months, then she passed away.

My FIL was put on life support after aspirating vomit after a surgery. He was on it for a week while he fought the infection. However, it damaged his wind pipe and his quality of life was never quite the same.

In each case it was done with the patient's permission but because each person and situation is different, the outcomes were quite different.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:37 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• i hope i never have this decision
    san78

Answer by san78 at 8:45 AM on Aug. 6, 2010