I have been trying to get my son off the bottle now for a few months...should i just go cold turkey?

I know he is a little old 16 months and he uses sippy cups and the ones with the soft straws. any tips on how to comfort him when he knows he's not getting it. its the weekend and i thought this might be a good time. Thanks for your help!

Hunnysmommy

Asked by Hunnysmommy at 1:12 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't comfort, just act as if there was never a bottle in the first place. Don't even mention it. Cold turkey is the only way to get rid of it.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 1:14 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Get ready for a few nights of less sleep.cold turkey is what is best.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 1:16 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Yep. If it hasn't been working for a period of time then it's time to cut him off the bottle completely .
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:19 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• cold turkey is how i had to do my son. he refused to give up the bottle....soo i had him watch me get all the bottles and thro them in the trash. and i told him no more all gone....when he sees you thro them away hopefully it will click with him that he is a big boy and doesnt ge them any more. that is what worked for my son. GL
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 1:20 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• We just stopped giving our son his bottle around 12 months. I thought we would have a difficult time because he had to stay on Nutramigen until about 16 months, but he was fine taking it from a cup.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:28 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• You don't mention how many bottles you currently give him. If you're still doing more than 1, get rid of them one at a time rather than all at once. If you're just down to the nightime one and you aren't ready to go cold turkey, starting watering down the milk. He may just give up on it on his own. We didn't start to eliminate the bottle until 15 months (he hadn't figured out the sippy cup yet). By the time we got to the last bottle (3 week into the process), he didn't seem to care too much. My only mistake was not immediately getting rid of them (or at least hiding them). He spotted them one night and threw a fit when he couldn't have one.. If you give it to him just before bedtime, you can also try moving it earlier to break the association with going to sleep. TZhat might make it easier when you just get rid of it.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:03 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Does he use a binky? He will mind a lot less if he does. Wean him off of the bottle during the day time and only give it for nap time and night time, and then take away the nap time. the last bottle he will want to give up is probably the bed time one. but you will eventually just have to take it away. make sure u put them up in a place where he will never see anotherbottle cuz that will just set u back if he sees it
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 1:44 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Hey Ladies thanks for the tips! I was only giving him a bottle in the morning and one before bed. I gave hime a sippy cup before bed tonight and he was fine. He just woke up and OMG he is mad! he is almost out of steam poor little fellow:-(. I warned my neighbours it would be a noisy night/weekend! thanks to all!
    Hunnysmommy

Comment by Hunnysmommy (original poster) at 1:28 AM on Jul. 24, 2010