How did you get your one yr old off the bottle?

mommy16love

Asked by mommy16love at 1:14 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• I honestly couldn't! But he started going to daycare and sitting at the table with other babies his age and seeing them use a sippy made him want to use a sippy so he just did :)
    shortleo

Answer by shortleo at 1:16 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• she kind of broke herself of it. she liked her sippy cups a lot more.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:16 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Just gave him a cup instead... He was still nursing though, so I think that helped break him.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:17 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• i just stopped cold turkey kinda, i only offered sippis, she got thirsty enough she took to it, pretty much
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 1:18 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I gave him a sippy cup during the day, bottle at night for a couple of nights. Then I gave him a sippy cup all day and he switched without issue.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:19 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• We started making her formula in a bottle (so we could shake it up) then pouring it in the sippy at around 10 months old. On her first birthday, we put some chocolate milk in the sippy and told her that she was a big girl and got real milk in a sippy, and not formula or bottles anymore. She smiled, said "Me big girl!" and that was it. We didn't make much of a big deal about it or try to slowly wean her from it. We just did it. But, she's always been easy on those kind of things. :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:19 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• we introduced sippi cups well before she was one. and she like those. so we just started putting her formula and juice in her sippi at about 10 months. she preferred the sippi so it was easy. and within a few months she was drinking from a regular cup. she likes to be a big girl and do whatever we do. lol
    allykins165

Answer by allykins165 at 1:21 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I stopped giving it to him. For a week before I completely took it away, he onlt has his cup during the day and a bottle at bedtime. We had no issues.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:25 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I never did force it. I let my children decide when they are done with the bottle. My oldest threw his away when he was 2.5 years old. My youngest was done with his when he was 16 months old.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 2:19 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I say use the sippy cup if there drinking well then hide the bottle. Say your a big girl or boy now and we use sippy cups.
    It should not take long before thats all you give him-her except for maybe letting them use a straw.
    SassyDee01963

Answer by SassyDee01963 at 4:26 PM on Jul. 23, 2010