how can you say they dont remember.

recently in a falling out with my parents my dad said that kids dont remember anything when there young. my 4 yr old told me something my mom had said to her and my dad said she was lyeing cause she wouldnt remember my mom telling her thi 2 weeks after the fact when she told me.
but disagree. she was 2 1/2 when she broke her arm and to this day she still afraid to play rough cause she remembers breaking her arm. she will even tell you mommy my arm hurts when its cold outside "b/c i broke it".
how much do you remember? can you remember things from when you were little like b4 the age of 5?? i know i can.

sandraberke

Asked by sandraberke at 1:18 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• yes they can stick (or like me be blocked out)

Of course kids have SOME sort of long term memory! its plain silly to say they can't remember anything at all until 4, or how would they learn to eat, talk, etc. If they had NO ability to form memories, they wouldn't be able to learn!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:26 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I have a few vivid memories from when I was 3. Nothing before that.
    As far as your 4 year old remembering something from two weeks ago...yeah, of course that's true.
    My son is 3.5. He hasn't been to my sister's house in over a year and yesterday he told me he wants to go to Aunty's house because he needs to play with his cousin and his two toy buses.
    He remembered those buses from over a year ago, when he was 2. Kids remember things. It may get fuzzy as we get older but to say that a 4 year old wouldn't remember something after two weeks is just silly.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 1:25 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I personally don't remember ANYTHING however, my husband remembers vivid details of being young - none of them were very great memories but his earliest memory is 2 - however, my son only being 2-1/2 has remembered things from up to 6 months.. I think whether they remember or not, it molds them at the same time and they learn what to do and what not to do.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:21 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I had a very rough childhood to say the least, I believe my lack of memories is that I repressed them. I can't even imagine how much MORE disturbed and unbalanced I would be if I remembered it all.

My son is 4, he's been telling us stuff about the house we lived in when he was 1. Got me thinking and here's my theory - It's just age! You build up so many new experiences and such that your brain basically overwrites the old stuff as you grow. Same thing with old people not remembering things from when they were even older than 4 year old.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:21 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I remember some things from when I was 3. My brother was born, and while my mom was in the hospital I remember my dad taking me to the toy store to pick out my very first bike. I remember riding it through the store, and through the parking lot to the car. I remember asking him if I was still his favorite kid and him saying I was his favorite daughter. I remember telling him that when I was 2 he told me I was his favorite kid (at the time, they had no plans to have anymore) and I remember him being speechless and stumbling with his words. I can see his face, all confused and wondering what to say just as though I'd seen it yesterday.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:22 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I can remember very little before the age of about 5. I definitely think a 4 year old can remember something from 2 weeks ago or even 2 years ago, but as we get older, we remember less from when we were that age.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:22 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• My daughter is 5 1/2 and still talks about the "coffee" we gave her when she was 2. It was cold hot cocoa in a coffee mug because she wanted coffee like me and my husband were having. She still talks about it. She's always talking about things. She goes as far back as around a year old.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:23 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• so do you think tramatic events in time stick with children?such as breaking an arm or loseing a loved one?
    sandraberke

Comment by sandraberke (original poster) at 1:24 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I can barely remember anything from my childhood.. lol.
    But my kids tell me things that happened when they were younger & they are right on the money.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:26 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• My birthday is 4 days after the Fourth of July. I was born in 1974. I can vividly recall the Bicentenial parade in 1976.

I also have clips of memory of when I fell at age three and required stitches in my face, I remember clips of when I was in the ER for swallowing the lego axel and from when I had eye surgery at age 4.

My sister, however, can not remember high school.

I think it can depend on the person.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:31 PM on Jul. 23, 2010