Ignore it and defuse or blow up??

My sister in law always says really mean and false things about me and my husband. If I even say "thats not true" she starts screaming and freaking out.

I live with my in-laws and she is one of thier 5 older kids that lives there too(she is 20). Should I stand up for myself so the people within earshot wont think her claims are true or will it make me look like I am participating in her drama? Should I just ignore her?

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 1:22 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Relationships

• If it were me, I'd laugh it off.
    My ex husband says things about me that are hurtful and untrue all of the time. I just chuckle and say "That's not true." and shake my head. I treat him like he's a child having a temper tantrum because that's exactly what it is. He makes himself look like an ass, just like your sister in law is doing to herself.

If you defend yourself, you are giving her exactly what she wants. A reason to argue and fight and accuse. You can say it's not true, but give her no more than that.

She's acting like a 2 year old throwing a tantrum, so treat her like one.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 1:31 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• chances are, people around already know how she is and know they are not true. i'd ignore her.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:26 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I would just ignore her.. My STBSIL did the same thing--say mean things about my SO and I and just be really dramatic about things.. I ignored her & now we don't argue.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:24 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• i would try to ignore it. but knowing me eventually i would have enough and snap at her. lol
    allykins165

Answer by allykins165 at 1:25 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I think you should ignore her. You can always let the others know that they can talk to you about any of what she says if they ever want to. Be a bigger and better person than she is. Hope you don't have to live near her forever. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:28 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• im sure they know that she is lying so i would just ignore her! good luck! sorry!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 1:28 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• If you all live together, I think you should ignore the issue. It will only make it harder to live with one another and could maybe even get someone kicked out. Let her run her mouth. You know the truth and that is all that matters.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 1:29 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• just give her a good slap in the mouth =]
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 1:33 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• She sounds exactly like my little sister. I found blowing up makes it worse so I ignore her and live my life. Sometimes distance is the best thing you can do.
    maggiebella25

Answer by maggiebella25 at 2:01 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I would confont her and find out why she is even making up things about you two. What is the real reason? There must be more to it than that. Sounds like she is trying to run you two off.
    Esmrlda

Answer by Esmrlda at 2:48 PM on Jul. 23, 2010