Should a doctor's medical history be public information or at least be open for their patients?

Here's what I mean... IF a doctor were to have something (lets say HIV) should I as the patient have access to that information? Directly, there is little risk, but wound care, needles, surgeries... All kinds of things could cause me or my loved one to be put at risk... So should that information be public?

Realizing that a doctor always takes precautions is one thing, but accidents happen... So what do you think? Would you want to be operated on by doctor with HIV, or any other transmittable illness? How much should they have to disclose for the sake of the safety of their patients?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 1:49 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Health

• not all of the medical history, but yes, I do think communicable, deadly illnesses should be made public.

DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:52 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• hmm tough one. id say no. its none of my bissiness. accidents happen but what are the chances that during surgery while you are open that he would cut himself and bleed into you? in that case then should the nurses and staff have to disclose that informations too? or anyone in the hospital who has a diease have to?

just wondering not being a bitch so please dont take it that way.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 1:54 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I agree with DarkFaery---except they should only be disclosed to patients in his care or new patients interviewing...Not necessarily public but to those it affects.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 1:55 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• What about things like loss of eye site or hearing or treatment for things like depression or anxiety... ALL of which could possibly affect how YOU receive or don't receive treatment... Ideally you would hope a doctor who is endangering his own patients would step down, but money is a big motivator to hide...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 1:56 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• That's really a good question. I guess if a doctor would have a disease such as HIV, or any other blood borne disease, I would have to say that he shouldn't be practicing medicine. Anything that would make that physician not be able to function at his full medical capacity would be grounds to have his license removed. That would include, alcoholism, drugs, epilepsy, etc.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:56 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• no i wouldnt want to be cared for by that doctor....however i really don't think its anyones business..i guess that would be up to the medical board to decide. I do think there should be a review for doctors though. Something where patients can go and give their opinion of their experience with the doctor..good and bad
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:56 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Yes, in response to Sabrina's recently posted statement, my sentiments exactly! That would be included in my comment.
    m-avi

• I don't see a reason in making them PUBLIC but making them available to patients or interviewing patients I guess is what I'm thinking... Legally I have the right to make ALL the decisions in my medical treatment, and I think this is something that should be taken in to consideration along with all the other factors...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 2:00 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• If we make this exception for Doctors then it will trickle down and your medical history will eventually become public knowledge as well. The rule has to be for all or none... to be far to all!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 2:00 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• what are other symptoms of HIV that could effect a drs working ? im not sure of the the symptoms of hiv so idk. .
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 2:03 PM on Jul. 23, 2010