Will we have to pay? Is DH right?

Hi,

I have an odd question. I just got back the bill from my er visit and it showed the amount due, followed by an adjustment with the new amount to be paid. So the actual amount due is half of what was originally due.

In short, the hospital seems to be charging us for only half of what was due.

Dh just got paid and wants to pay it right away but is worried that they made a mistake and will come after us later. (There is no way we could come up with all of it if it was)

Anyway, can they come after us later for the full amount? If we pay what they ask now and they do come after us what do we do?

I don't have health insurance of any kind if that makes a difference. We also do not qualify for medicaid, food stamps or others. ( we make $1.00 too much)

Thanks!

Anonymous5

Asked by Anonymous5 at 2:04 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would just save the bill and if they try to come after you..send em that.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:05 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I would call to make sure that it's not an error on their part. If you only pay the current amount due (1/2 of original) and they catch their error, you are still liable to pay them back.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:06 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Most of the time adjustments are given to people who do not have insurance...for example i went to the dentist the other day and the full amount to have 2 wisdom teeth taken out would be 1300 but since i do not have dental insurance they did an adjustment discount and told me to pay 890. If you are ever unsure call the hospital and ask but i've never been asked to pay for more than the adjustment amount.
    shortleo

Answer by shortleo at 2:07 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I would just pay it. And save the bill like supermommy said.
    maggiebella25

Answer by maggiebella25 at 2:07 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I would pay what they say you owe and wait for next month to see if a bill pops up...either way you have to pay something so pay what you owe now...
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 2:08 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I would pay what they say that you owe as of right now.. If they come after you for anything extra in the future, show them the bill that stated how much was owed. It is not your fault for their error. Pay the bill before they notice!
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:11 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• The "reduced" fee is what your insurance paid. The amount you owe is in the bold box indicating so. They will not come after you for anything other than what you owe.

Hospitals charge insurance companies way more than they know they will get paid for, so they "up" the charges, in the hopes they'll make some profit after the insurance company pays their negotiated rate. For example...one insurance company I deal with only pays 26 cents on the dollar for speech therapy for my son! So, in order for the therapist to get paid what she deserves, she charges a ridiculous $240 per 45 minute session, and ends up getting $62 from insurance. Now, if she only charged $62 to insurance, she would end up only getting $16!! Crazy, but true!!

Hospitals/Doctors HOPE that some people will just pay the non-reduced costs, but you should always question such bills, and contact your insurance company to fight it as much as possible!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:14 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Just pay what it says you are responsible for. The adjustments are for their records and you should be just fine. Write on the memo portion of your check "Paid in Full" and the account number then make a note of the check number on their portion and your portion of the invoice.... mail it off and you are good to go!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 2:15 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• on the bill there should be a number to the billing department. you should call them and ask how much you owe, they will be able to tell you.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:18 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• At our son's hospital, before his medicaid kicked in we got a bill with an adjustment on it... our hospital gave us a discount for no insurance, so maybe that's what yours did too? (His medicaid ended up paying, so we didn't actually have to pay anything, but my guess is that they won't come after you for the rest since the bill says you owe less). Pay what you can, and definitely keep the bill.
    trebelcleff

Answer by trebelcleff at 2:19 PM on Jul. 23, 2010