Who else has very little family support or involvement? How has this affected you?

I am the mother of two special needs kids...my son Sean almost 6 now has ADHD/Aspergers, and my dd Kylie almost 2 has unspecific diagnosed global developmental delays. My family is very non-helpful and unsupportive...and their are many times I feel very angry and almost like I've been robbed of something I need almost as much as the air I breathe. It affects me in a very negative way, and I see out there many ppl who have such supportive loving families and thriving. I just feel I could deal so much better if I had family to lean on and talk too.

Heathercurlz

Asked by Heathercurlz at 2:16 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm sorry. It's so hard when you find out your kids have problems. The grief and then just the weight of the daily stuff.
    I have two w/ADHD. I can't seem to get my ds on medication that makes a good improvement. My mom lives over 2thousand miles away so does my my inlaws. I have my brother and my dad near but my dad is rarely available(mentaly and physicaly) and my brother is wrapped up in HIS inlaws lives so tightly that he and my sil give minimal attention to my kids. I don't have friends,I don't have time for them. I do see a thearpist because I doubt I could make it through w/o some sort of support. We also try to attend church but it's hard b/c my ds disrupts. You arent alone,God Bless.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 10:27 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I'm in your boat. i have a son with moderate autism and ZERO help from both families. This is why I have to be a SAHM,we have no one to take him for the summer,school breaks,and when he's home sick. I wouldn't have a job very long if I had to take off all the time!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:23 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Oh my goodness.. by all means and rights you should feel mad about a lack of support. you need support to maintain your own sanity on hard days.. and even on regular days.. I am sorry your family is not supportive. What about your childrens fathers side? Are they any help?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:26 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• What is undiagnosed global environmental delays ?? Just curious.. We have a high needs child but my mother is SO supportive and helpful - my husbands family is the opposite and he is very heartbroken about how horrible his parents and family is.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:17 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I feel you, I am single mom to two boys, my 5 year old is HFA/Asperger's, I am alone in raising my sons physically and mentally and get minimal child support from "sperm donor"...no support from my family or his....just struggling to keep my 13 yr old out of trouble and 5 yr old in therapy!!! I understand!!!
    2boyz2pray4

Answer by 2boyz2pray4 at 2:32 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• my ds has adhd/asthma. he is 3. he just started really talking at a month before turning 3. dd was born with sleep apnea and wore a montier until about 10 months old she was hospitizied for rsv at 5 months. she also has asthma. my parents dont want to be around because my kids are mixed and so i have no support from them and plus i live in chicago and they live in nevada. hubbys parents told us if u move here we will take the kids everyonce in a while. hahaha which is a laugh they only take my son. once over nite. and other then that if im with them they will take the kids. hubbys mom is a peds nurse so she should feel comfortable around the kids but nope. so i feel ur pain.
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 2:41 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• i know how you feel my daughter has adhd and sleep apnia one of my twins has alot of problems and i just found out i might have cancer and yet no one in my family will come to help me the dont even really call to ask how everythings going
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 3:09 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• There are families and people that just don't express there feelings verbally. I know that feeling. There is always support groups, friends, a church, etc. Try to find someone outside the family to help you. I've learned sometime, the family just doesn't understand what you feel and they make you feel left out. My prayers are with you. I also have a special needs child,
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:29 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Well, my daughter almost 2 and is non-verbal, about 1 mth ago just started to sit up on her own, has to eat pureed texture food, has aspiration issues and drinks honey thickened liquids..that sorta thing. Very slow to develope...she has been diagnosed with a motor disorder, and macrocephaly(large head) but nothing specific...like cerebral palsy or whatever. I'm thinking cp is what she'll end up getting dx'd with...but time will tell.
    Heathercurlz

Comment by Heathercurlz (original poster) at 2:24 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Well...luckily my hubby's mother watched Sean for a week a time or two. Let me just say they are a lot less judgemental about my parenting and person afterwards. It is very rare that this happens, and on both my hb's parents and mine rarely come to visit. My mom and dad have only come to visit once in the five years I've lived at our current residence and they live 45 minutes south of us. Hb's parents live 2 hours north. I guess I'm not the only one who has no real family network....I couldn't afford the specialized daycare for both of my kids if I were to work, and with only a highschool diploma and lack of experience from several years not working since the arrival of children, doesn't make going back into the job world a cake walk. Thanks for adding your thoughts:)
    Heathercurlz

Comment by Heathercurlz (original poster) at 2:32 PM on Jul. 23, 2010