Pubic embarassment as punishment, thoughts?

Ohio parents choose roadside punishment for son

CANTON, Ohio (AP) - The parents of a 14-year-old boy in Canton, Ohio, say they made their son stand near a busy intersection with a sign that described how he stole $20 headphones from a store because they wanted to teach him a lesson.
Stepfather Eddie Harris says he and his wife wanted to punish the boy and wanted him to be embarrassed.
The boy stood outside Harris' barbershop all day Thursday with a poster-board sign explaining how he stole a pair of $20 headphones from a department store, despite having the money to afford the merchandise.
Prosecutors are reviewing the case. The teen could face a juvenile charge of petty theft or the case could be handled informally by the court system without charges.

I don't know if I would choose this form of discipline, but I kind of like it...nonviolent, immediate, and makes the point. What do you think?

Youngwifey2

Asked by Youngwifey2 at 2:29 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• For something like that, at that age where what peers think means so much, I'm all for it. :-) It will definitely make him think twice before trying to steal something again.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:31 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• i bet the kid will never steal anything again.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:32 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I agree with both of you...
    Youngwifey2

Comment by Youngwifey2 (original poster) at 2:34 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Honestly, I would never do that. I think it's wrong. I'd come up with some sort of punishment other than humiliating him.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:34 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Good for the parents! I bet that worked more then grounding would. I have to keep that in mind for when my kids become teenagers.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:41 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Yes thts humiliating..then parents wonder y their teenagers won't talk 2 their parents..he could of made him return em n grounded him..that's awful
    Leilene07

Answer by Leilene07 at 2:45 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I like it! I bet it will work!

Answer by older at 2:46 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• bumped ya!

Answer by older at 2:47 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I saw the title and thought they did something to his penis.

Depending on how he much he is acting up, the punishment may be fitting. I think all day is excessive, to be sure.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:47 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• It would depend on the kid. That would be a horrible thing to do to a kid who is already bullied on a regular basis - they wouldn't be "losing face" it would be adding ammo to the bullies. For a kid who is in the top half of the social food chain, taking them down a peg would probably be just the thing to get the point across far more than grounding would.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:12 PM on Jul. 23, 2010