what to do about a 4 yr old who keeps telling me what to do!

i dont know if this is a phase or her being angry b/c daddys gone but shes soo sassy and tells me what to do!
mommy make me a cake
mommy do this
mommy buy me this toy i want it.

WTH!?

sandraberke

Asked by sandraberke at 2:34 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• Ignore it,say no,I'm not taking orders from you. Make her learn to say please.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:35 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• When I receive orders from my 3.5yo, I say, "excuse me?" & then he'll ask nicely. But we've been working on this for a while... at first when he would make a command, I would say "I think you mean to say "Mummy, could you please ____" and make him repeat it. Then I would happily comply. The 2nd stage was once I knew he knew the sentence & how to say it, I would remind him to add "please" or remind him to ask nicely, without actually telling him what to say. Now I can just say "Excuse me" and he'll remember and ask nicely. Good luck - it's important to nip this in the bud now before you have an obnoxious teenager! :o)
    debbymichelle

Answer by debbymichelle at 3:01 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• When my little five year old teenager gets snotty with me.. I let her know that I am the mother.. I am the boss.. She is the child. I put her in time out & whether she pouts or not, she always gets over it. She's getting much better! =)
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:37 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I used to tell my kids, "who died and made you mom?"
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:38 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• lol... My 2-1/2 year old is quite bossy too... I just laugh when he trys to be bossy.. then we compromise or do things together in a fun silly way ... they have quite the nerve at this age don't they haha
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:39 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• My soon to be 4yr old tells me stuff like, "that's not the rules, you don't make the rules, I make the rules!" I told him that I do make the rules and yes those are the rules and when he turns 18, then he can start making his own rules. He says, "ok." LOL If he gets sassy, I will tell him that he DOES NOT talk to me like that! They learn REALLY quick that they get more when they use their manners. My son has been SOOOOO polite lately. When she demands something, say something like, "try asking me the right way." If she does and sayd please, the reward her by letting her have whatever it was (within reason, of course). She will learn, hey, if I say please and may I, I get what I want, when I act this other way, I get nothing. It may take a few tries, but she will get it sooner or later. Just stand your ground and don't tolerate that behavior. You can also send her to time out for being rude.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 2:48 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Ignore his demands and he will get the point that she is not the boss.

Answer by older at 2:49 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Role play with her on how to politely ask for something . Make it fun. Some of it could definitely be that daddy is gone. Talk to her about that and ask about her feelings. Children need to learn to veralize their feelings and talk to you about them. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:55 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• "You aren't in charge of me, when you can speak to me nicely then I'll consider your request" that's basically what I say, but my kids are a bit older. We started out very similar as debbymichelle with teaching a little bit at a time on how they should ask.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 3:26 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I tell my three old that I will only help if she aks nicely. Usually I have to say it more than once but she gets the point eventually.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 11:23 PM on Jul. 23, 2010