Is it true that donation from Wish Upon A Hero are considered income and can affect government assitance?

My neice told me her friend who is disabled and on SSI is having to pay all the money back that she got in donations while recieving SSI. If this is the I think it is terible. Who would think that paypal is considered liek a bank account?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• You have to report all your income. So I bet it is true. I know when I was pregnant with my son and my OB ended up sending me to a cardiologist for a heart problem with my crappy insurance from WalMart. Then eventually told me for the best interest of my and my son's health I should really leave my job I ended up needing some help with insurance so I applied for Title 19. In order to even apply for that you must report the money in your bank account, the cash you have, how much your cars are worth, any money you have incoming on a regular basis or ANY OTHER type of money bearing accounts.

So yes paypal would definitely need to be reported. I don't think your niece's friend intentionally committed fraud but technically did. I am sure this is why the friend just has to pay back some money instead of having some major legal trouble.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 3:00 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Yes, you have to report all income, and cash donations is considered income when it comes to welfare and SSI. It states on all the applications if you expect to receive or do receive cash, you must report it.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:02 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• You have to report all income, even gifts or donations. If affects your eligibility, and if you neglected to report it, they can make you pay it back. It's on all the paperwork, and the case worker who does the interviews usually asks about it too. They take all your financial information into account, bank accounts, assets like cars, everything that might be worth something, too.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:18 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• It is sad but true...you have to count all donations and gifts as income, even if you leave your husband and get a divorce while on PA and accept a one time payment from said divorce, you will loose your PA.
    Say you are offered half your husband's 401K plan and you take it, the state makes you pay back the money they gave you
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 4:09 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Really? Why don't they say anythinbg about ths on the Wish Upon a Hero site? I am not by any stretch doubting these answers in fact I have learned a ggreat lesson by this information. I wonder how many of those innocent people making wishes because they are in a bind in the first place, really know that in essence this is likely no different than a "loan" if they are going to have to pay these donations back. I wonder how those who are donatng feel about this or are they even aware. Looks like I will be closing my account there.
    IpsoFacto

Answer by IpsoFacto at 4:30 PM on Jul. 24, 2010