Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Husband to pay for divorce

My freinds husband left her. shes a single mom. She cant a ford the divorce and he will not pay for it. Her only income is disability. The child isnt his. Is there anyway he can be forced to pay for the divorce. Hes living with his girlfreind and can afford it

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (8)
  • Lol.. no. If she wants a divorce, she needs to pay for it. Most courts will waive the filing fees for low income families and there are lots of programs that provide free to cheap lawyers for low income families.

    Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:17 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

  • She would have to have the judge order him to pay for it but, most lawyers will not take on a case without payment upfront.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 3:17 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

  • tell her to call her state's bar association and get some legal help. Google her state and "bar association".

    Answer by elizabr at 3:21 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

  • more...when she gets to the bar association website she looks for Pro Bono help.

    Answer by elizabr at 3:23 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

  • She doesn't have to get a divorce. She can remain married to him until such time as he wants one badly enough to pay for it himself. I personally would wait him out. He can't marry someone else until he gets a divorce, and he's the one who already has a new girlfriend.

    Answer by NannyB. at 4:04 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

  • There are rules against it unless they use one attorney but she can use Legal Aid. Tell her to make sure to get spousal support and cs.

    Answer by admckenzie at 4:43 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

  • ^^The child isn't his she can't get CS. She probably won't get SS either. I agree with NannyB. I would wait him out, they have no ties.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 5:38 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

  • Why wouldn't she get SS? He's cheating on her?! She's get SS, but not CS. And yes, she should just wait him out. If she goes after him for SS, he will probably pay for the divorce to get out of paying the SS anyway.

    Answer by Raine2001 at 6:43 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.