How can I help my sons little flathead?

I have been doing so much tummy time and my mans little head is flat. Dr said it looks like it is getting better but i dont see it. Should I be concerned? We have been moving his head different positions when he sleeps etc

njmel23

Asked by njmel23 at 3:18 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try making him lay on his back and sides more for a while or in a swing while he is a wake. Most dr. say not to let babies sleep on there tummy because of breathing problems.
    SassyDee01963

Answer by SassyDee01963 at 3:22 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Really, if the pediatrician thinks it's getting better, it probably is, and you don't have to worry. Once babies start sitting on their own, things start to round out.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:23 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Thats all you can do. Are you using a prop at night? Lay him on one side or another and he can't roll. keep up the tummy time, there is no magical fix
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:23 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Also...switch which end of the crib his head goes on each night. They tend to look towards the door/room so this will help him rotate which part of the head is against the mattress at night.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:26 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• they do sell stuff for that - looks like a baby helmet. if it bothers you and you see it. do something about it before it is too late. my son did mad tummy time but still was back to sleep 100% of the time... so he is 4 and i can still tell.. most other ppl cant but i still see it and too late for me to do something now.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:26 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• has he look for tortacolis (sp?) my son had that and he had to wear a helmet for 8 mos of his life
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 3:31 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Can he roll over? If so, he no longer needs to be back to sleep. If his head were very misshapen, you'd be getting a referral for a helmet.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:31 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I rotated my son everytime he laid down from birth and only tummy time during the day. His head is fine .
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:05 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Avoid swings, bouncy seats and too much time in containers. If you want him to not have flat spots, only lay him down to sleep. Otherwise keep him upright in a sling/wrap/or mei tai so that he can build strong muscles and will not be lying down so much. A baby who is carried and held does not develop flat spots.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:53 PM on Jul. 23, 2010