Is charging Rangel going to help or hurt the Dems in November?

Does it make them look better for finally getting around to doing something (which is why I think they stalled so long - they think it will), or does it make them look worse for letting him get away with it for so long (which is how I think it really looks)?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:22 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Who cares about political ramifications?

He SHOULD be charged.....He should have BEEn charged

Although it was entertaining to watch him tangle with a reporter yesterday..he needs to step down, plead guilty and end it

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:27 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I don't think it will make any difference at all.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:28 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I don't think it matters to the general voting public. Reps will capitalize on it but if it wasn't that it would be something else, same for Dems. Its not like politicians actually care about justice, they just want to get an angle so they can spin it however they want.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:29 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

The 435 people up for re-election in the house in less than 4 months. Of course he should've been charged - but the point is he should've been charged a LONG time ago. They purposely stalled it until closer to the election. The question is, will it work?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:29 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• The 435 people up for re-election in the house in less than 4 months. Of course he should've been charged - but the point is he should've been charged a LONG time ago. They purposely stalled it until closer to the election. The question is, will it work?

I think thats a dummy move if that is what they were thinking...it just looks like they let another insider slide for longer.....This is a perfect example of the re-election whores..aka politicians...that's ALL they think about....his ass should have been charged about a YEAR ago...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:32 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Ditto to Sweet. He's got a strong challenger in the primaries...I can't imagine he'll realistically make it much further than August. It's the same as all that Scooter Libby/Dick Chene bullshit. Normal people can clearly see that he's an asshat but his buddies want to see how it plays out.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:40 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I don't think it's going to be the Democrats' Mark Foley. Charlie Rangel should have been charged years ago. Congress has an 11% approval rating which means about 89% of them need to go.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:45 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

LOL..I was thinking Ted Stevens! That FELON got a STANDING Ovation when he was FINALLY FORCED OUT...SICK

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:48 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• He should have been charged a very long time ago. Instead, he continued to head the exact agency that he cheated.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:49 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I don't know how this will affect the elections, but I'm surprised it has taken this long for this to happen.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:55 PM on Jul. 23, 2010