About HIV?

When you hear that someone has HIV, or full blown AIDS, are you inclined to think that they contracted it because of their sinful ways? That they contracted it as a punishment for their sins?

(note that I have lost a good friend to AIDS- this is pertaining to a previous question)

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 3:37 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I know of people who think that way, but I don't. Of course I'm smart enough to know how HIV is spread, and as with any disease, the person with HIV or AIDS is just a victim of circumstance. Meaning that bad things sometimes happen to good people.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 4:23 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I dont believe they get AIDS from their sins.. I lost my uncle to AIDS and he was a good man--he would have done anything for anyone.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:37 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I'm truly interested to find out how *some* people of *certain* religious background can justify their hatred.

I am Baptist. I am somewhat educated. I do not believe that AIDS or HIV always comes from being "sinful." I do believe that if some people weren't so promiscuious (sp?) and had their partners checked for diseases before having sex with them then AIDS/HIV (unfortunately that will probably NEVER happen for most people) wouldn't be so bad. But, I know that AIDS/HIV comes from places/actions other than sex and that AIDS/HIV isn't airborne. Hope this makes sense.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:28 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• No, because there are many different ways that a person can contract AIDS/ HIV, so I don't think that it is a punishment for any sinful behaviors. If it were how do explain the babies that contract it from their mother, spouses who get it from cheating partners, or people who get it from blood transfusions?
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 3:47 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• no. it's not my place to judge.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:39 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Neither. You don't get AIDS just from sex.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 3:39 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Perhaps I should have worded this differently... You trap more flies with honey. I'm truly interested to find out how *some* people of *certain* religious background can justify their hatred. "

Which religion would that be that hates people because they have HIV or AIDS?
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:51 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• No, it doesn't matter to me why or how someone contracted it. To me it's a disease like any other disease. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:50 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• No, I don't. You could have sex with one person, and if they had AIDS, you could have it. I feel very sorry for them.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:50 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Wow, that's terrible.How sad! People contract all sorts of diseases with no fault, and do the churches shun them too? That's very unGodly, in my opinion. I would recommend a Universalist church. That's what I attend sometimes, and we don't turn anyone away. I don't know which religion these churches were, but even the Christian churches I used to attend never would have done something like that. Some religions like to take part of their religious texts, interpret them on their own, and then look down on people. That's not right, in my opinion.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:07 PM on Jul. 23, 2010