I know i shouldn't but in but.....

My sister in law and her husband recently moved in with my mother in law until they get there house ready. my mother in law keeps my baby during the day while i work. They have an eight year old boy and he is bad and says horrible scary things. The other day my sister in law was trying to burb the baby and she couln't get her to burp so my mother n law took her , and the boy said give her to me and i will burp her until her eyes bleed. crazy stuff like that. Of course my mother in law did'n't, and she doesn't leave the baby in the same room with the boy unless she is in there. But should i say anything to my sister in law about her son. He says mean stuff to her all the time too like telling her she is ugly. SHould i tell her that she needs to get him under control. i'm afraid e is going tobe a bad kid and they are going to be moving next door to us. i don't want to overstep any boundaries.

jaceyrayesmom

Asked by jaceyrayesmom at 11:17 AM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• OMG Girl!...heck yea I would say something.
    Luciens_Mom

Answer by Luciens_Mom at 11:23 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Your child comes first... and I personally wouldn't want my child to be influenced by that. The boy watches to much bad TV and it doesn't seem as if the parent diciplines him... that kind of talk is unacceptable... and to allow him to talk like this at this age... no doubt! I wonder what kind of person he will be as he gets older?
    jrHowser

Answer by jrHowser at 11:23 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• The situation needs attention...I can't tell you he watches too much T.V or needs discipline..I don't know the family. What I can tell you is he is verbally acting out for some reason. They could be enviromental..like I stated earlier..or it could be an organic problem with him. Be very careful how you approach the SIL. She will likely get protective and even angry towards you. Be prepared to hear "oh he's just playing.." or something equally as dismissive. In the meantime make sure your child is not left alone with that child for even a minute.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:36 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• i think grneyedgrandma is RIGHT ON THE MONEY! There is definitely something going on with this kid and you have to make sure that ur baby doesn't become affected by him. This is a terrible problem for you - my heart goes out for you. As mom's we all worry that are kids are in good care, and knowing there is even a possibility of someone harming your DD has got to be hell for you! R u and ur hubby able to afford another care provider? If so u may have to do that even if ur afraid of stepping on toes. Your daughter comes first!
    mommyof5boys543

Answer by mommyof5boys543 at 11:58 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• somebody needs to burp him until his eyes bleed! i would be suprised if he doesn't end up a serial killer! he needs help, i would ask them to please not move next to you.
    pam228

Answer by pam228 at 12:32 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• even if they do move next to you, they dont have to come over! let the mom know your concerns. be honest and direct. kids say some awful things, and if you take action now, he'll learn NOW that its not ok.
    imanixon2

Answer by imanixon2 at 1:21 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• You need to suggest to her to inform him that is no way to talk about anyone. Or you could say something to him when you hear it. Just simply tell him "Thats not nice" and maybe that will jumpstart his mothers reaction.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:49 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Your daughter's safety comes first. There will come a time when your in-laws need to step out and may leave your LO unattended. Or the constant verbal threats & insults she'll eventually understand the tone and it might leave her with poor self-esteem. The bottom line is being around that child puts your daughter's safety at risk -- long & short-term.

From the standpoint of them moving in near you -- you can't tell them they can't. But you can limit the access he has to your daughter, either by not visiting them, or by putting restrictions on how often and who can visit you. If your SIL is unwilling or unable to control her child; that's her choice as a parent. But then the consequence to that is limited visitation with your baby.
    Squirrell34

Answer by Squirrell34 at 2:55 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Absolutely... That kid is screaming for help. If his mom isn't taking care of it... mention it... She is a mother. She should understand your concern. Your first priority is your baby... no matter whose toes you step on.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 7:51 PM on Oct. 2, 2008