My toddler has a bad diaper rash on his legs

So my son gets bad diaper rashes sometimes and right now he has one bad where is almost cant walk. its not that bad in his diaper area but mostly on the inside of his left leg. I put the best diaper cream on it and powder and let it air dry and dont use wipes i put his butt in warm water to wash poop and pee off. I change him often as well. But it just seems to hurt him so bad to walk. do you think I could put like a gauze pad on it? or do you think that would irritate it more?I just feel maybe the gauze will help him walk better.

djanowski775

Asked by djanowski775 at 3:41 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First- Are you sure it's diaper rash and not heat rash?
    Like my DD, if it started with a different diaper he may be allergic to the way that brand is made but if he is back only wearing his old brand it should of cleared up.
    And is it swollen at all? I hope he didn't get bit and is having an allergic reaction. I had cellulitis from a spider bite as a kid.
    Good luck!
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 9:34 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Give him a bath with a couple caps full of vinegar and a little baking powder. let him play for a while. Pat him dry and then use a blow dryer on a low setting to make sure his rash is really dry. Then get like bordeaux's buttpaste or something easy to wipe off and put it on him. Call your Dr. too..they may be able to call in some nystatin powder which is a anti-fungal powder. Use the powder after you blow dry his bottom and then add the cream to seal it on. I hope he feels better.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 3:47 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I meant to say baking soda...not powder ^
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 3:48 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• oh yes.. and you may want to offer him some yogurt because it could be something he is eating that has set off the balance in his tummy. like anti-biotics of something??
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 3:50 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Thanks for the advice I will try that. He just has super sensitive skin and I can only use huggies diapers and wipes the natural ones otherwise he gets super bad rashes like this. His grandma watched him and didnt have anymore huggies so she used a luvs diaper or something like that and that is how he got the rash. I am just wondering if i can put gauze on the one part on his leg so he can walk.
    djanowski775

Comment by djanowski775 (original poster) at 3:54 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I would try this use dr Smith mix with a little it of cortizone, and antifungal (any brand ), and then apply where the rash at, let it air dry, he should feel better within couple hours. I did it for my son, and it sure help him. The cortizone will help eash the burn, and antifungal would cure the yeast, along with the dr smith will help make it sooth. So try it. Don;t use gauze or anything just let it air dry better yet don't wear pant or diaper hiihihi . Apply offten everytime he pee or poop.
    hungluvphuong

Answer by hungluvphuong at 6:54 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Oh one more things you can also buy the bottle of Maxi Baby-dophilus (prebiotics) which sell at health food market in the refrigerator section, and mix with milk or water so it will help balance his tummy so it will help the poop solid ( gave him rice, apple, and bread) more than milk . Possible try soy milk instead of wholemilk .
    hungluvphuong

Answer by hungluvphuong at 10:01 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I have been watching it and I am thinking its more and more a heat rash it got worse from using buttpaste so i stopped using creams and just used baby powder and have been keeping his diaper of as much as possible. I do live in nevada and tends to get pretty hot here. thanks Donna for pointing that out to me. if it continues without getting better i might take him in to see his dr. thanks
    djanowski775

Comment by djanowski775 (original poster) at 3:47 PM on Jul. 27, 2010