my toddler of 2 1/2 is still on the bottle, is it ok?

He's very stubborn and wouldnt drink milk otherwise, and he still wakes up once or twice (almost every night) for milk,, I dont know how to wean him of that,, I tried giving him water instead but he just keeps crying until he gets his milk!

mommy_sam

Asked by mommy_sam at 3:42 PM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You might need to try a little tough love. Tell him that he may have one more bottle of milk but then that's it because he's a big boy now.
    He doesn't need to have milk during the night, its a comfort thing not a hunger thing.(generally speaking)
    Make sure you give him the heads up that there will be no more bottles and then stick to it. He will scream and cry and you will have a few sleepless nights but he WILL adapt and deal without it.
    It will probably take less time than you think.
    My son had a super gross bear thing he sucked on all day every day and all night for 3 years. I thought it would be torture to make him give up the thing but he did really well. I just said "I'm sorry sweetheart, Sucky is all gone now. It's ok though, you are a big boy. How about I give you some cuddles instead?"
    After a couple of nights he was fine.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 3:51 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Wow its not okay..y dnt u take him 2 the store have him pick an awesome sippy cup he might b interested in
    Leilene07

Answer by Leilene07 at 3:44 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• There are sippy cup tops that go on the bottles like nipples. I would say try using them. Then make sure you hide the bottle during the day and make him use a reg. sippy cup.
    Drinking milk at night can cause bad teeth problems. I would break him of this habit very soon. Try giving him a cup with a straw and staying with him while he drinks it. Then have him drink a small amount of water after the milk. Also you can tell him that he is a big boy and big boys do not drink out of bottles.
    SassyDee01963

Answer by SassyDee01963 at 3:48 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• That's not good, it does cause teeth problems.. I would completly take it away it might be hard and you'll have some sleepless night but when the habbit is broken it will be worth it.. you can also ask his doctor about it too and i'm sure they will tell you it's not good and give you ways to help him get through not having a bottle
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 3:54 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Is he eating a big enough dinner or snack before bed? Are you sure he's actually hungry or thirsty when he's waking up? Maybe he had a bad dream or something?
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 3:55 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• You do really need to get rid of the bottle. Milk at night is bad for the teeth. My pediatrician warned me that milk is often the last thing kids will dri nk from sippy cups. She told me it was more important to get rid of the bottles than to get them to drink milk (yogurt, cheese, etc can provide the same nutrition). By 2 1/2, a child shouldn't need the bottle at night (i.e. aren't really hungry) so it's mostly just a habit. You might want to talk with your pediatrician for advice. Otherwise, I agree that it's probably time for a bit of tough love. He wakes up, offer water and comfort but no milk. You're probably going to have a few bumpy nights so choose carefully when you start (i.e. start just before a weekend so you can sleep in...) Hang in there and don't give in. He'll get the idea. Good luck!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:13 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• You're going to have to be mean just and throw away or give away all the bottles. Maybe gather the bottles and have him donate them to goodwill or something "for the babies." I know it's hard, but stick to your guns. Like someone else said, you can just make sure he eats plenty of yogurt and cheese if he still refuses to drink milk. Good luck mama!
    mommymela87

Answer by mommymela87 at 5:59 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Tough love- it is not ok for him to still have a bottle. Expecially if he's getting up at night for milk. it is going to ruin his teeth and he's going to get a lot of cavities. I know crying is hard to deal with- but it's much easier and less expensive than baby tooth cavities. He should be drinking from a sippy cup or a regular cup by now. I gave my son (he turns 3 next month) water- he didnt get anything except water in his sippy cup for a while after he turned 1. He cried, got up a few times at night and cried. BUT...after a while he got over it and now he doesnt take anything to bed (potty trained)- but instead gets up and asks for a drink of water if hes thirsty.
    Dont expect it to happen over night- or him to be thrilled about it. Expect at least two weeks of heartache when you put him to bed.
    szeimetz

Answer by szeimetz at 6:01 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• sounds like it's time for some tough love. get rid of all the bottles, and wait him out. it'll be a rough few days, but it needs to be done and you can't give in or it will just get harder and harder. good luck mama. get help from your husband, mom, and who ever else, and get rid of those bottles!!!
    kidnappedbylove

Answer by kidnappedbylove at 6:10 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I weaned mine off the bottle by 15 mos., 18 mos. and now I am weaning my 1 year old off her bottle (she will be 15 mos. next week). What I have done with all mine was to start I took away all bottles during the day (they had a morning and an evening - but not a bedtime bottle). Then we took away the morning bottle and then a week or so later I would take away the evening bottle. I had to try a ton of different sippies until they each found the ones they liked. My son like Nubies, My daughter liked Playtex and my youngest now likes the take and toss sippies and the Playtex sippies. You might want to try some different ones to see which he will like best. Nubies have the latex nipple so that may appeal to him. But I agree with everyone else, he is a little old to have a bottle. And definitely do not let him take one to bed. Always brush teeth before bed and no more liquids besides water after that !
    akhartis

Answer by akhartis at 6:12 PM on Jul. 23, 2010